Made my new longest shots.

WildBillG

Started off the new year right today. I hit 2 out of three shots at 1073yds. My gong is 12x16 inches I was pretty proud. It led me to a question though. I shoot a 338 RUM at 2845 shooting the Berger 300grn Elite Hunter over 91grns of n570 and a 30 inch Jury barrel. I put my numbers in my Kestrel elite 5700 with ballistic app. It told me at 560yds and 40 degrees F I need 7.5 moa of come up. I dialed for this and was high a good amount. My zero is set for 250yds. I was hitting the gong when I reached 3.5 moa of come up. We went back to 1073 and the Kestrel said dial up 23.9 moa. I figured it was way out at 560 so I gave it 19.5 and the first shot hit. My friend tried his 300 RUM with a 210ABLR at 3210 and missed4 shots one was low but we had fiddled dialing abit. We drove down and looked where we were hitting and went back. I shot again and was just low. I came up a half moa and hit again. My friend went up to his starting point and after a bit of adjusting hit the gong. What we are wondering is why are we hitting high it is colder than when we chrono'd and checked our ballistic charts. Any body have any help PS I am glad the 338 buried the 300 in our day of fun.

Garbage in, garbage out with your ballistic solver. Go back and make sure all the parameters are correct. You say you zero at 250 but did you set that in your kestrel? If your shots hit at 1073 did you calibrate muzzle velocity in the kestrel?

Plugging in some assumed numbers I got 6.7 and 20.6 MOA at 550 and 1050 respectively. I used 10 twist and 3360 elevation. I'm sure my DA was off because I don't know your station pressure. I did this using Shooter app because it was quicker than getting my kestrel from the shop but I'm betting it's close to what Applied Ballistics would have been.

Last edited:
I'm betting it chronos slightly faster in the colder air and that G7 isn't perfect. Usually have to play with it to fine tune them at distance.

Last edited:
Here is what I put in my Kestrel 300grn bullet
G7 .414
2845MV
250 zero
2.0 inches above bore
I used the bullet info for the 300grn Berger Elite Hunter found in the Kestrel app.. Now I never checked what my meter said for altitude. The temp it had said 40 degrees F and last shots temp was 28. I always thought you would lose velocity as temp cooled and air became denser. I was shooting in a mostly west direction if that effects any thing. I am learning as I go here so all help is appreciated.. My velocity was taken from my magneto speed chrono at about 70 degrees F.

What yards/meters you ZERO at - set that in your Ballistic program. Personally, I go for 100yd and make sure that the bullet is dead center.
If you go to 200yds for less turns on your scope turret make sure you shoot 200yd ZERO.
If you enter all the environmental factors in at ZERO your Kestrel should match the changing conditions, you are shooting at.
You should also check before a hunt to make sure everything is working with the unit. For example 300, 437, 678, 864, 957. (if you have a range where you can place targets).
Practice Practice Practice and knowing your equipment inside out. Hitting a gong at 1K is one thing, Going for a trophy or just an animal at long range is another. You don't want a miss or INJURE Animal shooting long distance or any distance.
good luck and post pictures of your hunt!

I plugged your numbers into my kestrel and got similar come ups - 7.45 and 23.64 moa.

I wouldn't get hung up on temp or elevation since those have a small effect. Look at muzzle velocity, BC, true zero (as referred to above by Waspo)) and scope verification (tall target test verifying 20 moa is really 20 moa).

Does the angle of the sun effect impact points or should I say shot placement. Right now where I live if you look south the sun is in your eyes and glaring off the snow.
My zero was confirmed this fall and the rifle was not used. until yesterday. Now as for knowing for sure about the turrets I can't confirm any thing. Except a year ago I dialed to 925 and it was as accurate as I can shoot and put 2 shots onto said gong about 8 inches apart.
We had 3 rifles with us and all were off hitting high by 2 to 3 moa..

Does the angle of the sun effect impact points or should I say shot placement. Right now where I live if you look south the sun is in your eyes and glaring off the snow.
My zero was confirmed this fall and the rifle was not used. until yesterday. Now as for knowing for sure about the turrets I can't confirm any thing. Except a year ago I dialed to 925 and it was as accurate as I can shoot and put 2 shots onto said gong about 8 inches apart.
We had 3 rifles with us and all were off hitting high by 2 to 3 moa..
I'd be shooting a three shot group at exactly 250 yards and seeing what happens. If it is on then id go and do a tracking test on the scope. Id bet your zero is off if your other inputs are solid.

All my info is exactly what Whatsnext got when he used my info. As I said last fall I zeroed the scope at 250. my turrets were working fine. The gun was not used again until the other day. I can try a tall targt test and see what I get.Even at 1073 when I did a small adjust ment it moved the scope the right amount. As I mentioned though 3 rifles all had the same issue seems unlikely then that it is the fault of 1 scope. It has to be an out side the gun issue that is why I wonder about sun angle.

Started off the new year right today. I hit 2 out of three shots at 1073yds. My gong is 12x16 inches I was pretty proud. It led me to a question though. I shoot a 338 RUM at 2845 shooting the Berger 300grn Elite Hunter over 91grns of n570 and a 30 inch Jury barrel. I put my numbers in my Kestrel elite 5700 with ballistic app. It told me at 560yds and 40 degrees F I need 7.5 moa of come up. I dialed for this and was high a good amount. My zero is set for 250yds. I was hitting the gong when I reached 3.5 moa of come up. We went back to 1073 and the Kestrel said dial up 23.9 moa. I figured it was way out at 560 so I gave it 19.5 and the first shot hit. My friend tried his 300 RUM with a 210ABLR at 3210 and missed4 shots one was low but we had fiddled dialing abit. We drove down and looked where we were hitting and went back. I shot again and was just low. I came up a half moa and hit again. My friend went up to his starting point and after a bit of adjusting hit the gong. What we are wondering is why are we hitting high it is colder than when we chrono'd and checked our ballistic charts. Any body have any help PS I am glad the 338 buried the 300 in our day of fun.
One of the most common mistakes in developing drop charts is that the bar. Pressure is often set at sea level instead of at your elevation. Unless your shooting at sea level, this will make a big difference in trajectory. Make sure your Bar. pressure is set for your elevation on your ballistic program