one of my longest shots...

My dad and I drew back to back desert sheep tags in the East Kapairowits unit in southern utah. Back to back tags have never happened on sheep before in utah!
The unit is in the Grand Staircase National Monument and Glen Canyon National Recreation area around Lake Powell. It is probably the most remote area of our state, and holds some original (non transplant) sheep.
My dad's ram is the unit record, bumping my ram to second at 150 1/2". In the world of sheep, 8" is a HUGE difference.
My uncle (brian b) and I saw a 160" ram down there last spring and we tried for him but he gave us the slip after being hot on his trail for two weeks. He is still alive and well, and we know were he calls home. If Brian draws this year......

dogdinger,
just a couple of items that goodgrouper left out if you want to put in for the east kaiparowits unit to hunt desert bighorn, if you are a Utah resident and want to hunt the kaiparowits area it is broken up into 3 units EAST (2tags),West(2tags) and Escalante (6tags). if you are a non-resident there is only 1 tag, and that non-resident tag is good in any of the 3 units. to the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a non-resident hunter in the East unit,9 times out of 10 there guide takes them to the Escalante unit and the 1 remaining goes to the West unit and for good reason, the Sheep in the Escalante unit have historacly been the best in the state (until a couple years ago when they opened up a unit not open to non-residents). this is some of the nastiest terrain on the planet and you would be an absolute fool not to hire a guide to hunt here,every guide in the state has a honey hole in the Escalante and West units for a big sheep but the East is truly an offlimits area unless you are a resident. If you want to put in for sheep in Utah the SanRafael is the way to go for non -residents (although still lottery odds)
B

Thanks for the info Brian. I have only been applying for a desert tag here in Colo, but I am thinking of getting all the info for AZ, UT, & NV and start sending in for them all to increase my odds of drawing.I have a friend that knows the country in AZ and can line me out if I draw there. What is the cost of a nonresident tag in UT? I do not think CO even has a non resident tag application. Our sheep tags here are on a very limited basis , in just a couple areas. The area south of Grand Jungtion has been hit hard by lungworm and I think they have closed the area. If i ever did draw a tag I would definitley do my homework and maybe even hire a guide, depending on the area. I've done quite a bit of guiding myself so would tend to just go it alone. Gosh just talking about sheep hunting has by pulse rate UP!

dogdinger,
actualy CO. does let non-residents apply for sheep but the hitch is you must send them 1,643.25 in CASH and let them keep it for 3months then they send you back 1,640.25 you have to do this for 3 years before you are eligable to draw a tag.
in Utah a non-resident tag is 1,513.00 but if you apply on-line the fee is only 5.00 unless you draw, the bad thing is that you have already missed it for this year because applications closed Jan31st.
the good news is that you can still put in for Nevada until April 19th and for arizona until June 8th if you need a proclamation call 775-688-1500 (Nevada) or 602-942-3000 (Arizona) if you need more info let me know.
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.