Made my longest kill shot this week.

Willymo I really like the Cadex break. It tames my 338 RUM down to a 243 or maybe even less. The whole setup weighs 13 pounds. I don't know what the recoil would be like with out the break as I have never shot it with the break removed. I should have mentioned in my original post this rifle has a 30 inch Jury barrel. Jury barrels are made right here in Alberta mine has a 9.3 twist.
Skipglo I definately fit the average hunter category.

WildBill, Congratulations friend! Most of us have similar memories! And memories of our exploits are our real trophies! Many friends who have shared our memories are gone now, but their trophy memories remain! Thus part of them remains with us! GOD bless you, pal!

This hunt for sure was more about the shot than the size of the deer. Also my wife threatened to shoot a big buck if she saw it before me. Yet she claims not to be competetive LOL.

Thursday afternoon I made my longest kill shot. I shot a Mule Deer buck at 625 yds. This is also my first kill with my semi custom 338 RUM. My load was a 300 grn Berger Elite Hunter doing 2845 over91.5 grn of N570 Bertram brass and Fed 215 primers. The bullet entered btween the brisket and front leg and exited in front of the opposite rear leg. No meat damage but the internals were a mess.
It was the second day of the season the buck I believe is 3 years old. He is not a trophy but a buck that did not need to be breeding does in the future as he was only a 2by 3. We spotted him at 950 yds yards and I said I will see if I can get a little closer. I ranged him as I walked toward the 4 bucks and when I reached a good spot to shoot from he was 623 yds away. I dialed in 8.25 MOA and held on the point of his front leg and squeezed. The Cadex break did its job and I was was able to see himstagger off hunched up. I did not know if I had hit him for sure but when my friend drove the truck up he said the buck was down. Sorry I have no pictures but I will always have this hunt in my mind. What makes all my hunts so special is that my eyes are not that great and I rely on friends to help me find game. Thanks to this forum I have learned enough to make this shot possible.
nicely done, deadeye