M40A1-3 stock, 300winMag and 200gr. Accubonds

heatseekins

I had a great time at the range testing out the M40A1-3 300 win mag and some 200 grain Accubonds. The rifle is a factory Remington 700 Sendero that I dropped into the McMillan stock un-bedded just to see what would happen.

I took all of my reloading gear with me so I can load/ test and load some more. The range officer gave me some funny looks though. Unfortunately I forgot the plunger for my RCBS hand primer, so I had to make a trip home to fetch it. I came back with my video camera (and the plunger). I don't have a shooting partner, so a while ago I started videotaping myself to see what im doing wrong. It has helped my shooting tremendously. again I got some funny looks. And of course my batteries in the chrono were low and died after 2 incorrect readings
I started out with 69grains of 4350, Winchester brass, cci 250 mag primers .025 from the lands. I was getting a little bit more vertical than I liked so I started upping the powder until I reached 125clicks with the Harrell's powder thrower, about 70.75 grains. Here is the three shot group that I felt was good enough.

Conditions: Sunny, upper 80s, little boiling mirage, very little wind maybe 3mph at times. All shots were fired from a bench @100yds
318985.jpg

Target # 1
I adjusted the scope a bit and shot 2 at the center confirming the 100yd zero, then adjusted the scope 1moa and hit in the black square 1" above the bull.

Target #2
I reloaded the same 3 pieces of brass and shot 2 more @ +1moa in the black square. I adjusted the scope all the way up until it maxed out, then back down to the 100yd zero and put my last shot on the bull.
318986.jpg

The M40A1-3 stock was a dream to shoot compared to the factory HS that was on it. The rifle recoils with a bit more muzzle jump, but has considerably less felt recoil at the shoulder. I did all of my shooting with my left hand squeezing the rear bag. I haven't shot a 300 since November last year and I was promptly reminded of how much more bark it has than the 308. It took me a few fowler shots to settle down and squeeze the trigger. I will shoot it out to 700+yds wed for some real testing, and get some batteries so i chrono them.

Glen

Accubond performance

How does the 200gr accubond perform at longer ranges? Im going to do some more testing tomorrow out to 1k yards if the weather cooperates. What should I expect compared to SMK's?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.