200gr. Accubonds

JD

Ive just gotten some 200gr. Accubonds to try in my 300wm. Question is, where are you guys that use these, seating them in relation to the lands? Thanks in advance. JimmyD.

I seat mine right off the lands. Haven't noticed any pressure signs. No jump for the bullet and they shoot just fine.

What powder are you using?

I've had real good luck with Re25

Also, Retumbo and H1000

I had great luck with RL22 with the 210 Berger, so figured Id try it with these. Rifle also shoots AA3100 great, but with much lower velocity, so I figured Id try the RL22 first.

I was thinking to start with them around .010-.015 from the lands, cause I hadnt heard any feed-back on where to start.

Thanks. JimmyD.

Jim
I seat mine to fit in the magazine which leaves better than .050 to the lands, but they don,t seem to mind the jump. They shoot .5 moa if i'm on my game.

I also like the Re 22 tried H-1000 but the results just weren't as good.

As a side note if you want a cheaper practice bullet try the 200 gr. SMK over the same charge as the Accubond, they shoot into the same groups at half the price. (Thanks Ian)
Chris

Thanks for the replys, especially the tip on the 200SMK. Will see how it goes and keep you posted.

71 grains of H4831SC seated .01" off the lands worked best for me. RL22 gave pretty good results, and H1000 did not for me. However, I use the 200 grain SMKs, and I have been so happy with how they shoot I am going to try them for my extended range elk hunts first instead of the accubonds. If I have problems, I'll switch back to the accubonds. For the SMKs, I am at 71.3 grains H4831SC .005" off the lands, and this load produces .3" groups when I don't screw it up, and RL22 did only half that good. H1000 did not do good at all with the SMKs, at least up to 78 grains.

Update
Got good results with 72.5 and 73.0gr. Stock Remington PSS, USO scope,RL22, 200 Accubond -.010, Fed GMM brass (.335 bushing), 215m primer.

100yds. 3-shot group low .2s. ES=22, SD= 8, Avg=3027 600yds. 3-shot 4 3/4"group, 2 1/2" vertical.

3-shot 600yds. 3 1/4" group, 2" vertical. ES=11, SD=4, Avg=3033.

Both loads shot within less than 1 minute of each other at 600yds. I was very happy to have a hunting bullet shoot soo good. I know SD and ES for only 3 shots is not a valid sample, but it looks like it will be a good load based on groups at 600yds.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. JimmyD.

OK JimD, so call me a liar. You should name that recipe after me buddy.
wink.gif

I'm going to go do my endzone dance now.

Ronnie

Sendero, Yeah man, surprised the hell out of me that our "good" loads matched. It also really surprised me that the rifle went from 1" groups with 70.5-72.0, then jumped into the low .2's that quick. Have you/anybody found RL22 to be relatively temperature stable? Ive heard both good and bad?

Later

My experience with R22 has been nothing but positive in my 300WinMag. From "Three Points" in Tucson(HOT!) to the mountains in Colorado when its 30 at night to 80 during the day. The thing is, now that my gun shoots that good, why try anything else. Just go shooting.

Ronnie

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.