M40 A1 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag advice

Jon2

I am thinking of building a longrange hunting rifle on a Rem 700 action and using a M40 A1 McMillan and having it chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

I am wanting it to hunt deer sized game out to say 700 yards maximum. Do you think this would be a good combo? What opions does anyone have on the 7mm Rem Mag for this type of application? Does anyone have a similar set up?

I am also toying with using an A2 stock but think the M40 Mac would suit my needs better. I am looking at 7mm instead of 300 Win Mag because I want to be able to call my shots and feel the 7mm will be more suitable for this than the heavier recoiling 300. The rifle will have a T8 mod (I think in the US they are referred to as suppressors) fitted also to mitigate recoil. It will also have a medium heavy profile of barrel similar to say the Sendero.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Well technicaly it won't work as the M40 is a short action rifle. and the barrel profile is alot heavier than the Sendero you mention.

But I assume that your just wanting a Marine sniper rifle clone in 7mm mag. or just the M40 stock. I like theA3 and A-5 stock desgine better myself but to each his own.
As for the caliber choice and of the7mm or 300 mags will work for deer out to 700yds and in a gun of this weight especialy with a well built suppressor recoil will not be an issue.

Jon2,
I think it would make a great LR rig. I have hunted and shot the 7mmRM for a number of years now. My first rifle in this caliber was a Sendero and I shot the barrel slap outta it. I shot the 150gr Ballistic Tip almost exclusively and never shot past 500yds. That was just MY personal limit, not the rifle/cartridge.
I got a .300 WinMag during this same time and shot it quite a bit also. Never got past the 180gr projectile though, recoil was a bit tooo much for me, even in the Sendero. I decided the Big Seven would do anything that I needed done and nothing around here (animals) appeared to be getting immune to it.
I recently traded that ole Sendero and got a 700P, also in the 7mmRM. I haven't even shot it enough to properly break the barrel in. Been busy with load development for my Savage 110FP .223 and .25-06 Sendero. I did try some 150gr Scirocco (previously loaded for the Sendero), had to seat the bullet deeper, but they shot sub .5" @ 100yds.
I plan on trying the 154gr SST, 162 AMax, 168/175gr SMK's. Powder's will be RL22, IMR7828 and VVN560. Good luck with your project and keep me posted. Thanks. JohnnyK.

I love the 7rm. I have a sendero sfII that shoots 4 shots into the same hole. I shoot berger bullets in it and it seems to love them. You can't go wrong with the bullet selection availible for the 7mm.

I would look at an 7 mm STW .

You could just buy an Sendero in an 7mm STW .

I have two 7 mm STW them am one 7 mmm Mag Sendero .

I do knot use my 7 mm Mag any more .

Take a look at the 7 mm STW .

Redbone

Thanks for the ffedback everyone.

Yes the intention was to build a semi heavy profile sporter ona 700 action in 7mm Rem Mag

Good to hear of all your experiences with the 7mm and it was the recoil I was concerned about due to the fact that I wanted to call shots.

As for the STW i came close to getting a rifle in this calibre when Sako once chambered their synthetic model in it. I will look into it more before i jump but it maybe for what i need the standard 7mm would do it.

Thanks for the advice

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.