M40 A1 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag advice

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Jon2, May 5, 2007.

1. Jon2

Jon2 Well-Known Member

I am thinking of building a longrange hunting rifle on a Rem 700 action and using a M40 A1 McMillan and having it chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

I am wanting it to hunt deer sized game out to say 700 yards maximum. Do you think this would be a good combo? What opions does anyone have on the 7mm Rem Mag for this type of application? Does anyone have a similar set up?

I am also toying with using an A2 stock but think the M40 Mac would suit my needs better. I am looking at 7mm instead of 300 Win Mag because I want to be able to call my shots and feel the 7mm will be more suitable for this than the heavier recoiling 300. The rifle will have a T8 mod (I think in the US they are referred to as suppressors) fitted also to mitigate recoil. It will also have a medium heavy profile of barrel similar to say the Sendero.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

Well technicaly it won't work as the M40 is a short action rifle. and the barrel profile is alot heavier than the Sendero you mention.

But I assume that your just wanting a Marine sniper rifle clone in 7mm mag. or just the M40 stock. I like theA3 and A-5 stock desgine better myself but to each his own.
    As for the caliber choice and of the7mm or 300 mags will work for deer out to 700yds and in a gun of this weight especialy with a well built suppressor recoil will not be an issue.

3. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

Jon2,
    I think it would make a great LR rig. I have hunted and shot the 7mmRM for a number of years now. My first rifle in this caliber was a Sendero and I shot the barrel slap outta it. I shot the 150gr Ballistic Tip almost exclusively and never shot past 500yds. That was just MY personal limit, not the rifle/cartridge.
    I got a .300 WinMag during this same time and shot it quite a bit also. Never got past the 180gr projectile though, recoil was a bit tooo much for me, even in the Sendero. I decided the Big Seven would do anything that I needed done and nothing around here (animals) appeared to be getting immune to it.
    I recently traded that ole Sendero and got a 700P, also in the 7mmRM. I haven't even shot it enough to properly break the barrel in. Been busy with load development for my Savage 110FP .223 and .25-06 Sendero. I did try some 150gr Scirocco (previously loaded for the Sendero), had to seat the bullet deeper, but they shot sub .5" @ 100yds.
    I plan on trying the 154gr SST, 162 AMax, 168/175gr SMK's. Powder's will be RL22, IMR7828 and VVN560. Good luck with your project and keep me posted. Thanks. JohnnyK.

4. linksmechanic

linksmechanic Well-Known Member

I love the 7rm. I have a sendero sfII that shoots 4 shots into the same hole. I shoot berger bullets in it and it seems to love them. You can't go wrong with the bullet selection availible for the 7mm.

5. redbone

redbone Well-Known Member

I would look at an 7 mm STW .

You could just buy an Sendero in an 7mm STW .

I have two 7 mm STW them am one 7 mmm Mag Sendero .

I do knot use my 7 mm Mag any more .

Take a look at the 7 mm STW .

Redbone

6. Jon2

Jon2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ffedback everyone.

Yes the intention was to build a semi heavy profile sporter ona 700 action in 7mm Rem Mag

Good to hear of all your experiences with the 7mm and it was the recoil I was concerned about due to the fact that I wanted to call shots.

As for the STW i came close to getting a rifle in this calibre when Sako once chambered their synthetic model in it. I will look into it more before i jump but it maybe for what i need the standard 7mm would do it.

Thanks for the advice

7. zingdingo

zingdingo Well-Known Member

They'll both get it done, with ease.

If your concerned about recoil/shot spotting, might point you tword a rem mag.