LRH W/ 308 Max range??

canine

For you 308 guys, I was wondering what you feel is the max effective range for whitetails. On a side note, would you hunt elk / moose w/ the 308 and max effective for those critters. Thanks

I love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer I would say 500-600 yards pretty easy.

Elk..I feel you are a little under power but know people have been killing elk with 308's for years. I would limit my self to 350 yrds. Not because the killing power isn't there but you are going to want to make a perfect shot and you are getting to the relm of small margin of erros quickly past 350.

JMHO.

I prefer 600 yards max for deer in the 308. I would also take a shot on an elk or moose IF and only IF conditions were perfect including very still air and a perfect broadside double lung shot. If you put a bullet of adequete size and construction through both lungs and have enough velocity for it to reliably expand, either will expire. The key here is getting enough velocity to open the bullet properly. It is easy to get AMAX's and such to open at low speeds but these style of bullets are not muscular enough to do the job on moose or elk. You will need an ACCUBOND, Partition or similar to do the job.

You can get away with alot more with a bigger magnum such as less wind drift (less margin of error) and plenty of velocity to open bullets downtown. A 308 is really limited in its abilities to cleanly kill elk and moose downtown, but with the right conditions and the right load, it can be done.

personally saw a 165gr vmax buckle a moose at 470 with a 15 mph crosswind.double lung.know ur gun,know ur bullet and do some homework and only take shots within ur capabilities.doesnt matter personal opinions.

I assume that you ment 165gr Ballistic tip or 168gr A-max as the only 30 cal V-max is a 110gr.

The ballistic tips are a bit tougher construction that the A-max and if i were gonna shoot Elk or Moose at long range it still would not be my bullet of choice.

I have killed deer with a factory loaded 175gr SMK out to 618yds , bullet worked well exited with about a 1.50" hole , bullet went through ribs in and out. I'd take a shot on deer in "good conditions" with a 178 A-max out to 800yds but that would be on a broad side animal that was standing still or moving very little.
elk and moose , I'd say 350yds wouldbe max and I'd shoots a 180gr Accubond.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.