.308 max killing range

parlaan

Just moved in from Melbourne, Australia, now in Da
For these animals what in your opinion is the max kill range with the best of the best stuff for .308.

1. Texas Whitetail Deer

2. Coyote

3. Wolf

4. Medium sized hogs

5. Rams

6. North American Whitetail

7. Prong Horn

8. Elk

9. Caribu

10. Smaller Moose

This is with the best ammo the best rifle the best scope and in a steady position. No answers like it can't kill it, if it can't kill a smaller moose, put 30 yards then and so on and so forth. Thank you all very much I just need to know the answer to this.

1. Texas Whitetail Deer

~ 900 yards

2. Coyote

~ 600 yards

3. Wolf

~ 600 yards

4. Medium sized hogs

~ 600 yards

5. Rams

~ 600 yards (I have zero experience with these critters.)

~ 900 yards

7. Prong Horn

~ 900 yards

8. Elk

~ 600 yards

9. Caribu

~ 900 yards

10. Smaller Moose

~ 500 yards

For deer and caribou I believe that if I can poke through their chest it'll kill them, I have killed a lot of deer. From my experience and from the tales of other I feel caribou die fairly easily... I've even heard that a stale doughnut might kill one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For predators and critters of smaller size I don't believe the bullet will open up too well way out. I feel a need to stay inside the range where the bullet will expand quickly and cause some significant damage before exiting.

The hogs I''ve killed lead me to believe they kill sort of hard.

For large critters I feel the need to ensure the bullet can penetrate the full width (broadside shot) of the chest with an expanded bullet and therefore a closer distance.

Presented for what it's worth.. your mileage may vary.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not have thought a moose would be killed at 500 yards with a .308.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?

I'll change my maximum killing distances a bit to help you out, the original distances seem to have caused some stress..

1. Texas Whitetail Deer

~ 300 yards

2. Coyote

~ 250 yards

3. Wolf

~ 250 yards

4. Medium sized hogs

~ 200 yards

5. Rams

~ 200 yards (I have zero experience with these critters.)

~ 150 yards

7. Prong Horn

~ 250 yards

8. Elk

~ 100 yards

9. Caribu

~ 200 yards

10. Smaller Moose

~ 100 yards, maybe 75 yards.

Get the 308 Win and then get closer to the critter..

[ QUOTE ]
I was previously told that shooting a moose at even 400 yards was a HUGE risk. Damnit, if I'm going to be shooting game as big as elk and moose within 500 yards will I want a .308 or .300 win mag? I'm a good shot but fairly small.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I was previously told that shooting a moose at even 400 yards was a HUGE risk"

Risky for a poor shoot, a chip shot for those that know how.

"Damnit, if I'm going to be shooting game as big as elk and moose within 500 yards will I want a .308 or .300 win mag? I'm a good shot but fairly small".

Personal choice,and what does your size have to do with it

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the "HUGE risk" was I was responding about the .308.
The reason it matters that I said fairly small is the .300 winchester magnum is a big caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see why the 308 would be a huge risk. the 308 with the proper bullet has sufiecent power to poke a hole through the vitail which ='s dead Moose.

Stil don't see where your size matters as small women can shoot 300 Win Mag and up the set up of the rfle would have more to do with felt recoil than any other factor

Are your question legitmate or are you just stirring the pot?

[ QUOTE ]
The reason for the "HUGE risk" was I was responding about the .308.
The reason it matters that I said fairly small is the .300 winchester magnum is a big caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]

308 and 300WM are the same caliber.

Smells a trollish to me. If you would use the search feature you would find the answer you are looking for.

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.