Max Range

Practice practice practice then do it all again
I personally like shooting rocks long distance stack them up and work down if they stay that way if not find another.
Fist size rocks, is what I like bout the size of some animals heart
Know your scope most important, know your load , and then get to know your rifle and how it is preforming with your load
Then you can think maybe 200 yards might be on the cards if you can't accomplish the above time to go home and it don't matter a **** how big your firearm is ,
wounding is not what your planning or hoping for !!!

Lots of great replies. FEENIX hit the nail on the head.
Practice, practice , practice. And correct practice at that.
I myself have never taken a true long range shot . As the NRA describes long range . Mostly because where I've hunted there were no distance to the animal that got into long range distances.
However. I have made kill shots that were approaching long range. With rifles that would not be classified as long range rifles. The reason I took those shots is I had practiced with the rifles alot and knew what my rifle and load . And myself and the conditions could accomplish right then.
Your the deciding factor !

Lots of great replies. FEENIX hit the nail on the head.
Practice, practice , practice. And correct practice at that.
I myself have never taken a true long range shot . As the NRA describes long range . Mostly because where I've hunted there were no distance to the animal that got into long range distances.
However. I have made kill shots that were approaching long range. With rifles that would not be classified as long range rifles. The reason I took those shots is I had practiced with the rifles alot and knew what my rifle and load . And myself and the conditions could accomplish right then.
Your the deciding factor !
Have a look at my avatar cool trigger finger lol
Nowoolies made the post not that it matters

There are too many variables that come into play to give a specific yardage. I tend to agree with the 1500 ft lbs for elk that many others have stated. In my rifle with my handloads at the elevation that I hunt, it's about 750 yards.

Let's look at a few other variables to whittle that down more.

Wind- I am by no means an expert at reading wind. I have a quick reference chart for a 10 mph full value that I adjust from as I see fit. Ultimately when shooting across ravines or over flats with little vegetation, where I can't really tell what the wind is doing, my comfort drops significantly. I've also hunted when the wind was gusting so hard I couldn't keep the crosshairs steady. In this case I told myself 200 yards max.

Shooting position- Am I able to lay down prone behind a pack, bipod or rock? Am I using a tree or sitting behind sticks? Am I dropping to a knee and taking a shot? Each one of these has it's own limits.

Visibility- I hunt the mountains of western Montana. Some days the cloud cover is so low that if I can see my target its dang near bow range. Other time its snowing. One thing a lot of people don't realize is that snow/fog is reflective. This can mess up your readings on your range finder. If I'm attempting to shoot past 250 yards I want to know my exact yardage. If I have any doubt that my rangefinder is getting false readings I look for a way to close the distance.

Ultimately, I've told myself that 600 is my limit on elk. For smaller critters its usually closer. If conditions aren't perfect and I am not 100 percent sure I can make the shot, then the limit shinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.