Looking to upgrade powder thrower

I should add that I also use the FA scale when throwing powder manually. Since I am confident of its accuracy and speed is very good I try to stay with the same system basically. I use a manual trickler when doing this. I have timed how long it takes doing everything manually and using the FA so for me it has paid off. I'm getting to be a FA fan as I use their primer tool and one of my buddies has the case prep center with trimmer also now and no disappointments.

I have not used the high dollar digital scales and automated systems so they may be a lot better, I just can't say. I have tried several other digital scales and felt they drifted so much I returned them as I was never confident of their accuracy.

I guess that's more of my objective of this post than anything….. convince me not to waste money on cheaper auto throwers and learn from others experiences. That V4 is a beast. If I get into competition shooting that might be an upgrade
Feel free to learn from my progression:

I started with a FA battery scale.
Upgraded to a Hornady 1500 electronic scale.
Upgrade to a Hornady Auto Charge.
Upgraded to a US Solid lab balance.
Finally got an FX 120i and got the consistency, repeatability, and lack of drift I'd been looking for.

I trickled with a Lee scoop.
Then I got a Redding manual trickler.
Then I got a Lee powder drop for bulk drops.
Then I got a Dandy battery powered trickler.
Then I got the V4, and got the speed and consistency I was looking for.

I should take a picture of my line up of powder tools, I have them all still but mainly because I'd feel bad selling them to someone because I'd just tell them all the ways they didn't do what I wanted/needed them to do.

I'm not saying in any way that everyone needs a V4, it's definitely NOT right for everyone. But for me, I wanted fast, accurate, repeatable, reliable, and hands free. All I do is pull the cup out, dump it into the funnel, and I don't have to touch it again until the charge is ready for me. The last one was what really put the V4 into the winner's circle, and the stand alone lab balance was a big part because of my poor experience with the Auto Charge (which should have been hand's free but was defiantly not). I also like being able to separate the scale from the powder handling system, not something a Match Master or Auto Charge can do, but might not matter to everyone.

Even if the V4 isn't right for you, the FX 120i is fantastic. That and a Dandy trickler will give you very accurate charges for minimum fuss.

Last edited:
If you can justify to yourself, that cost of and FX/V3-V4, I won't at this time, do it!

In lieu of the previous, I use the Franklin Arsenal Intellidropper. It's fast and accurate, with the powder calc feature. I just wish it measured to .001, but oh well. I now have 2 of them.