Powder Thrower

700man

Any Sugestions for a good Powder Thrower?
I am presently using a RCBS and it keeps on rusting up.

Thanks for your help!

The RCBS Powder measure is a quality unit in my opinion. I've used two of them for 13yrs so far and I'm quit satisfied with it. If it's rusting up then you need to store it in a climate controled area.

I also have a Hornady LNL Powder measure, which has an aluminum body, but the rotors are steel. I've experience a little rusting on it, but that was solved by storing it in the house.

I have used a cheap Lee unit for the past 12 years and it works very well with extruded powders. It's almost entirely made of plastic and I may have gotten lucky, but it has very good repeatability when you do everything the same every time. The chargemaster with electronic trickle is a sweet setup that I'll probably switch to someday.

I have used a cheap Lee unit for the past 12 years and it works very well with extruded powders. It's almost entirely made of plastic and I may have gotten lucky, but it has very good repeatability when you do everything the same every time. The chargemaster with electronic trickle is a sweet setup that I'll probably switch to someday.

Tjbill, I've heard good things about the lee measure. What is the largest throw it will make of the magnum powders? H1000, h50bmg, etc ?

Thanks,
AJ

I can second the Chargemaster recommendation. Some of the best money I ever spent.

I also have an RCBS Uniflow and like it too for certain applications (generally not long stick powders).

However... if the rust is your problme I'm not sure that a different brand or model is goign to sort this out. You need to look at where you store it and maybe mount the measure on a little plank, attach it to the bench with a C-clamp and remove and store it somewhere that's less humid when you are done.

I've never had a Lee Perfect Measure, but I've heard good things about them and maybe they are less steel and less inclined to rust.

I can throw powder about as far as anyone I know, but I use and love an old Redding Mod. 3 powder measure. It's steel and iron so rust will still be a problem.

Lee's little "Perfect" measure is mostly plastic and has a good reputation for measuring consistant charges of coarse powders, it may very well be your best bet.

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the input, A friend told me about a Harrell's Precision powder thrower. Do any of you know about the quality of these?

The Harrell quality is superb. It's virtue is the Culver metering system; uses "clicks" to gauge charge. The BR people love them, but they really won't do anything that any top quality mechanical measure can't. Wouldn't count on them not rusting, either.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.