Looking to upgrade powder thrower

HookieHill

I have a hornady auto charge and am content with its scale accuracy, however it is very slow. I want to upgrade to something that is as accurate or better but quite a bit faster. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

What's your bank before I put my foot in the poo pile? I'm not a fan of the ones I could afford and tried. My first one was a RCBS Electronic with a electronic scale. It was so long ago...late 90's I dont remember the cost. Think it was in the 4-500 range and its sitting on my shelf for over 20 collecting dust. I'll trade you for the dispenser as I use the scale...throw me an offer??

Get a second scale and a Dandy trickler. Use the Auto Charge at max speed to drop half a grain low (it'll overshoot almost every single time), dump into the second pan, trickle up. Or sell the Auto Charge, buy a better electronic scale, then bulk drop with a manual powder measure and trickle up. I used a US Solid scale and was never happy with it, but it was more consistent than the Hornady stand alone electronic scale I used before that.

I did this until I got sick of it and coughed up for a V4 Autotrickler. 10 seconds or less, every single time. Fast and easy doesn't come cheap, but man this redefines easy. If you don't want to do the V4 now, you can get the scale that goes under it for not much more than the Auto Charge was, and use a throw-and-trickler on it, it'll be very precise:

Last edited:
What's your bank before I put my foot in the poo pile? I'm not a fan of the ones I could afford and tried. My first one was a RCBS Electronic with a electronic scale. It was so long ago...late 90's I dont remember the cost. Think it was in the 4-500 range and its sitting on my shelf for over 20 collecting dust. I'll trade you for the dispenser as I use the scale...throw me an offer??
Under $1k preferably

The only one I have seen (video not in person) that is faster and super accurate and faster than I can hand throw and weigh is the V4 one. I think it is well above your budget with the scale. Do a search on here and then you will know what it is. I have ran three different RCBS, a Hornady, and a Frankford Arsenal....slow as dirt and not worth the $200 to me.

The only one I have seen (video not in person) that is faster and super accurate and faster than I can hand throw and weigh is the V4 one. I think it is well above your budget with the scale. Do a search on here and then you will know what it is. I have ran three different RCBS, a Hornady, and a Frankford Arsenal....slow as dirt and not worth the $200 to me.
I guess that's more of my objective of this post than anything….. convince me not to waste money on cheaper auto throwers and learn from others experiences. That V4 is a beast. If I get into competition shooting that might be an upgrade

I guess that's more of my objective of this post than anything….. convince me not to waste money on cheaper auto throwers and learn from others experiences. That V4 is a beast. If I get into competition shooting that might be an upgrade
I just throw very close and under with a RCBS, and will trickle or use a small dipper to finish with my electronic scale. I can weigh out any charge about 2 to 1 over the electronic dispensers I have used. Balance beams are very accurate just slow with the movement and visual verification. There are all kinds of electronic scales on Amazon that are very accurate and repeatable for a fraction of the cost of "reloading" scale. Pretty close to what I do.

I have used multiple throwers for over 35 years and several months ago did go to a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I have to say I really like it and after calibrating it to the specific powder and running on auto it is fast and very accurate. I use it when loading a quantity of rounds for a specific powder.

I'm not a competitive shooter but like to shoot at the bench for fun. Ive checked accuracy on the scale and after it trickles at least 40 times before really buying into it and I feel its more accurate and much quicker than I am on a balance beam scale. I still have my Custom Products and Redding throwers set up but only use them if loading a few rounds in a different powder. I think any variance it has probably effects my accuracy less than other variables present when reloading and with rifle set up.

How long will this scale last, not sure. The company is great to work with though. If I was competing maybe I would do something different but I really like this set up. Just my opinion for my use which is primarily hunting and fun bench shooting..

I have used multiple throwers for over 35 years and several months ago did go to a Frankford Arsenal Intellidropper. I have to say I really like it and after calibrating it to the specific powder and running on auto it is fast and very accurate. I use it when loading a quantity of rounds for a specific powder.

I'm not a competitive shooter but like to shoot at the bench for fun. Ive checked accuracy on the scale and after it trickles at least 40 times before really buying into it and I feel its more accurate and much quicker than I am on a balance beam scale. I still have my Custom Products and Redding throwers set up but only use them if loading a few rounds in a different powder. I think any variance it has probably effects my accuracy less than other variables present when reloading and with rifle set up.

How long will this scale last, not sure. The company is great to work with though. If I was competing maybe I would do something different but I really like this set up. Just my opinion for my use which is primarily hunting and fun bench shooting..
That's mostly all I do. I've done a couple competition but that was mostly to hone my skills and network. I might have to give it a try.

ChargeMaster + A&DFX120i......you're in under a grand......slightly slower than V3/V4.

I throw a tenth short then weigh on the FX.