Looking for resources

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jkupper, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

After trying to dope for the wind this past Saturday, and shooting a wide 11 inch group at 700 yards, I am finally understanding why so many on this site have talked about doping the wind as being the hard part of long range shooting. Having said that, I was wondering if anyone had any webpages, or links to some good resources for doping wind? I want to do some more research on the matter. Thanks everyone!

Joe

2. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

I just watched these this past week. Been learning more about mirage/heat waves and their use in reading wind.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PIoRKK-SCg&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=31]SNIPER 101 Part 31 - Wind Corrections (1/2) - Rex Reviews - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efd1kLsvjFA&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=32]SNIPER 101 Part 32 - Wind Corrections (2/2) - Rex Reviews - YouTube[/ame]

And let's not forget the original... practice, practice, practice :D

3. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

WOW!!! Those videos were awesome! They made my head hurt a bit, but they were very good.

The last part about shooting across a valley made a lot of sense for my practice session this last Sunday. I was shooting across a valley that was pretty much in line with the wind, and would have thereby increased the velocity of the wind, especially during gusts. It made a ton of sense, it is just a lot to think about before you pull the trigger. Thank you so much CB11WYO!!!

4. CB11WYO

CB11WYO Well-Known Member

Yeah some of it can get pretty intense... alot to remember for sure :)

I'm definitely not a pro yet myself, maybe someday.

You're welcome!

5. 1100 Remington Man

1100 Remington Man Well-Known Member

Very nice videos. Thanks

6. calib

calib Well-Known Member

Ill have to watch those after work, sitting here waiting to head in, but want to see it on larger screen.