What resources should I use to prepare for long range hunting?

hmbleservant

What resources should I use to prepare for long range hunting?

I have been taking advantage of the forums (thanks everyone) to get some equipment together. I am almost done with that. Next I have plans to start practicing scenarios in the field. Are there any more resources online that I can use to learn techniques and what to do in certain situations. Instruction vidoes, etc. I can't afford the high dollar schools unfortunately.

Thanks again!!!

practice shooting at all distances possible. Shoot off of sticks and/or bipod depending on what you will be using in the field. shooting off bench at distance is great but you need to shoot like you will be in the field, you are not going to be packing a bench and rests and all of that in the field. Get the best optics that you can afford.

A lot depends upon how you will hunt and none of it depends upon how you will hunt.

To be successful you need to be semi organized and know where every piece of equipment is and to have it at hand when needed. This includes you bullets, your drop chart or PDA, your wind meter, your LRF,, your rear bag, etc.

You should decide beforehand what level of wind you are comfortable with and what distance with those winds. You need to have a good understanding of how accurate you are with a first round cold barrel shot.

As was said, practice is important and that includes laying out your gear in a methodical manner. A good shot takes several minutes of preparation.

Practice in all conditions and then practice some more.

Forget the range and go shoot field conditions... uncomfortable, wind, rain, snow, uphilll, downhill, cross wind, etc.... find your comfort zone and practice some more.

Read on the forums, talk to shooters who are better than you....

Ask questions, there are no dumb ones ~!

I would suggest getting some longrange videos from some of the guys here on the site. Holland, Carlock, BOTW and others I can't think of right now. I've seen a few and they are full of good info.

Gayle McMillan put out an article on Wind and Mirage Reading. These two factors kick more peoples ***'s than just about *ANY* other set of factors when the range extends out past about 800 or so. But, yeah, as others have said, find a place to shoot. Alot. Get a known good rifle system, I would suggest either a fast twist (for heavy bullets) .223, or a .308, depending on your level of comfort shooting ect. Learn to read the wind and mirage, learn to "shoot the rainbow", and most of all, Have Fun!

Come to think of it, I would almost bet Some One on here has that article, and maybe 1 or 2 others.

Good Shooting,
Gary

Practice shooting under duress. On Designated marksman course they made use run 1/4 mile in under a minute then get behind our m16 and within 30 seconds shoot a silhouette within 2 shots and 30 seconds. I'd say a target that simulates your game at 500 yards. Do 25 pushups and then shoot your target prone unsupported and sitting sling supported.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.