Looking for McMillan Edge Feedback

scotharr

Hi All,

I ordered two stocks from McMillan and would like feedback from anyone with an "Edge Fill" Stock. My main question is about durability and stiffness of this new material. Here's what I ordered:

A1-3 for Phoenix SA(308WIN)
A3 for Surgeon Hunter SA(308WIN)

I am estimating the Edge fill will save about a 1/2 pound over the standard fill: is this accurate?

I've been to McMillan and seen the stocks, but looking for feedback from owners.

Thanks,
Scott

PS. I posted this at Snipershide and didn't get much feedback.

Scott, I picked one up about a year ago and really like it. It's on a factory 700 BDL in 300 WM and is the Rem Sporter style. The weight savings was actually right at or near 3/4 lb which was perfect for this rifle as it is used for carry/packing. The stock seems very stiff and durable, theres nothing I don't like about it and the weight savings was incredible. It's been pillar/glass bedded and the gun is a one hole gun @ 100 yds. The one thing that was a little hard to get used to was with the weight savings, the balance point change and the gun is now a little tip heavy. Not really a big issue, just different.

From what I've gleaned from a couple conversations with McMillan is that you will save about a pound on average with the edge fill. I haven't heard of any durability issues, but, they did tell me they won't do an integral or saddle type cheek piece with the edge fill. It's not strong enough for the hardware. So it's obviously not as strong as the regular fill.

Question for those that have posted. When you say the edge fill save 1/2 to 1#, what is the starting weight. Would the stock without the edge fill weigh 5#, and now it weighs 4#. Just want to know to make comparisons to other brands of stocks, for instance a Manner's stock that weighs 2.1# to start with.
Do not own a McMillan stock, so don't know what they weigh.

Trueblue, I don't remember off hand but it seems the LSS stock weighed 2.25 or 2.5 lbs. The McMillan was .75 less. Call McMillan, they should be able to tell you the weight of the style you're looking for.

I spoke with McMillan and took the Manners data from their website. Here is what I recorded for the stocks I was considering:

McMillan Stock Weights (according to them)
HTG Stock 36 ounces
HTG Stock, Hunters Edge 26.00
A3 Stock 42.00
A3 Stock Edge 32.00
A1-3 Stock 36.00
A1-3 Stock Edge 26.00
Lazzeroni Thumbhole
Lazzeroni Thumbhole, Edge Fill 36.00
Manners MCS-T 34.00
Manners MCS T2 41.60

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.