B and C Carbelite stock vs. McMillan EDGE

WindTrax

You can buy MCMillan stocks, ready to ship at the LRH Store.

I'm looking at having a med-light weight hunting rifle built with a Remington short action for a little 6.5mm wildcat round built off a modified (shortened) WSM case. There are 2 stocks I'm looking at: the Bell and Carlson Carbelite (around $155) and the McMilllan Edge (around $475.)

What I can't figure out is why the dramatic price difference. I've previously had a Carbelite and seen no really noticeable wrap, flex, or temp expansion/contraction. Also, from what I've read, these stocks are made via (as best I can find out) exactly the same process: hand layup of the fabric followed by injection of the composite mix. Neither of the models I'm looking at appear to have pillar bedding or an action or full-length aluminum bedding block, so no difference there either...

I'm more than happy to pay the extra money if the McMillan offers a notable advantage - such as noticeably better accuracy. Cany anyone shed any light on why McMillan believes their stock to be so much better? Has anyone had a chance to evaluate *specifically these 2 models* side by side that could shed some light on any advantages of the McMillan? Yes, I do know on other models there are noteable differences with the McMillan and I don't want to down play that at all. But I also don't want to toss another $300+ extra at the rifle for the stock unless it will make a difference.

Thanks for your input!!
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never compared the two side by side, but I've owned several mcmillans and I have shot rifles with a B&C. The mcmillans feel like they are made better, more solid I guess. I don't think they are both made the same way. I personally like the marble patterns that are available from mcmillan, but I'm not sure that's worth $300.

I can't shed any light on a side by side comparison, but I can say that I'm in the market for a stock. I'm putting a rifle together similar to the one you describe. I'll be going with the B&C Medalist with the aluminum bedding block. I'll be ordering it from Bell and Carlson Medalist Rifle Stocks where the base price is $204 and when I'm done with some custom options, it will be about $255. For all the research I've done, it's a great middle option between the $150 and the $500 stocks.

Thanks for the info guys!

This rifle is taking a slight timing back seat it turns out. Talked to the rifle smith today and my new tactical hunting rifle will be ready this Friday and I just cannot wait!!!

It will have:
Accuracy International fixed stock (AIWS) and magazine
26" #5 contour 5C barrel
Trued Rem action
Titanium firing pin
NightForce 5.5-22x56mm scope, NP2DD illuminated reticle with zero stop, NF rings and bases
Chambered for my wildcat 6.5 Powder Keg cartridge (basically a 6.5x.284 but using a shortened WSM case so the 140-142 gr. bullets will not have to be seated deeply into the case and still can work in a short action at 2.76 overall cartridge length.

So since the one above is going to be ready sooner, the light rifle will have to follow that rifle be a couple weeks or so depending on how things play out. So I have a bit more time for stock research.

Thanks again for any and all info on the McMillan EDGE vs. the Carbelite stocks!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.