Looking for info on New Mexico elk hunting

scrmblr1982cj8

Long story short - I live in South Carolina and run a medical practice. One of our patients has a daughter that lives in New Mexico and is willing to let me and one of my co-workers hunt on her property. We are waiting on an address so we can look at her particular area of New Mexico for more information.

I would love to hunt elk, but I've never elk hunting or even been to New Mexico. I looked on Peterson's hunting website, and it looks like we've got a 6% chance on getting drawn since I'm going to have to go without a guide if we go (my wife thinks I spend WAY too much on hunting) next year so getting a guide is out at least for next year.

If we get to go I'll take either a R700 Sendero in 300WM or a R700 Sendero in 7mm.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone that has experience in elk hunting in New Mexico.

If you would be hunting on private property, you would get a landowner's tag. You would not have to draw. Draw is only for public land, and the draw is stacked against non-residents. Also, non-residents cannot get a cow tag for public property. Landowner tags for cow elk are available to anyone.
A chance to hunt Elk should not be ignored, especially in New Mexico. Unit 4 is where I usually hunt, on private land up near Chama. Try to find out what County or what GMU the Ranch is in.

Ranch Only tags in NM, if not given to you, usually run anywhere from $500 to $3000 (sometimes higher if its a premium unit). If not given to you, I'd ask the landowner if they have any sources of tags at a reasonable rate (from friends, neighbors, etc.).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.