My New Mexico Elk Hunt

jwp475

I built a 338 Lapua on a Rem 700 action specificaly to hunt Elk at 1k+ yardages and practiced and felt that I was ready for the challenge
I was hunting oout from Chama NM in the Carson National Forest. I speciffcaly wanted to hunt this one particulat mountain where the Elk could be spotted from long range and shot from long range.

The Mountain

ElkHuntNewMexico2008049.jpg

We spotted Elk in the meadow of the photo above, but the closest shot would have benn 1750 yards I did not feel comfortable with this distance since I had no where to practice for a shot that far away. So that meant taking the horses and going up the mountain and hoping for a shot

ElkHuntNewMexico2008062.jpg

The owner of RB Outfitters Ron Shalla took me and Wayne up the mountain that morning hoping to conect. Assoon as we got to about 10,800 feet elevation Ron heard an Elk bugle and he and Wayne started up hill on foot, after 5 or 10 minutes I heard Wayne shoot and he had a 5X5 down. After field dressing Wayne's Elk we waited for the evening hunt and at about 12:30 my nose started bleeding profusely and took abit bit to stop. At 3;30 pm we got the horses and rode to the evening observation point. I sat in ambush until about 5:30 pm and Ron said that he and Wayne were going to get the horses and go and load Waynes Elk and for me to stay put. As they started up the mountain to get the horses after going about 100 yards Wayne spotted a cow Elk and then Ron spotted the bull. Ron ran down the mountain to where I was located and said "come quick there isd a Bull in the trees. I gathered up my rifle and hightailed it. I didn't see the Elk at first and asked where is the Bull, Ron's said on the right> I didn't see the Bull untill I raised my rifle and looked through my scope which was still set on 10X. I emediately put the crosshair tight behind the shoulder at about 150 yardes and let fly a 300 grain SMK. That was the first time that I had fired that rifle freehand and the shot landed perfectly. I had my Bull the first day of the hunt.

ElkHuntNewMexico2008065.jpg

ElkHuntNewMexico2008063.jpg

some of the damage created by the 300 SMK

the lungs

ElkHuntNewMexico2008066.jpg

Last edited:
The bullet fragmented and was not recovered 2 other holes in the offside body cavity

ElkHuntNewMexico2008016.jpg

ElkHuntNewMexico2008019.jpg

Another part of the bullet created this damage to the inside tenderloin

ElkHuntNewMexico2008017.jpg

Wayne was from NY and the other 2 hunters in camp were from Wisconsin and every one got a Bull

ElkHuntNewMexico2008060.jpg

Congratulations jwp475! Thanks for the story and pics. That was kind of like my elk hunt this year. All set up to take 'em at long range and ended up shooting a spike in the trees at 80yds. Doesn't matter to me how far away they are as long as they go down fast. Congrats again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.