Looking for Blackhorn loads for Rem 700 Ultimate muzzleloader

Well I've settled on 101 weighed gr of Blackhorn 209. Consistently shoots under 1 MOA with no cleaning between shots. Now I just need to get my 200, 250, & 300 yard drops figured out and match them to the scope. Using a 2x7 Leupold with SBR reticle. I'm very impressed with the gun and reliability. I went out Thursday, was 3 above and shot perfect!

Well I've settled on 101 weighed gr of Blackhorn 209. Consistently shoots under 1 MOA with no cleaning between shots. Now I just need to get my 200, 250, & 300 yard drops figured out and match them to the scope. Using a 2x7 Leupold with SBR reticle. I'm very impressed with the gun and reliability. I went out Thursday, was 3 above and shot perfect!

Just a word of caution........... Just had another person tell me he gas cut his RU breech plug using BH. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know how many rounds he shot @ what load before this happened?

I sent him an email and I'm waiting for him to respond. Sometimes he doesn't get online for a couple days but, when he responds, I'll let you know.

I would suggest.......... if you're bound and determined to shoot BH from your rifle, I'd advise to only use your primer carrier (brass) ONLY ONCE.

Those rifles will shoot more accurate than 98% of shooters can shoot them with T7 pellets. Yeah,,,,, I know. I love BH too but, not in my Ultimate.

May I ask why only use the brass once? Do I need to size the brass every time with a 308 die? I just used my neck sizer die to knock out the primer. Thanks for your input.

May I ask why only use the brass once? Do I need to size the brass every time with a 308 die? I just used my neck sizer die to knock out the primer. Thanks for your input.

I'll explain the brass, but sizing it is a total waste of time. Total waste of time. I use a hand tool to de-prime cases.

The cases do just one thing, that's hold the primer and seal the ignition. Neither OA length or diameter have anything to do with it. Well short of it being able to align to the nipple.
The brass interior flash hole seats to the nipple and when the bolt closes, it seals the brass to the nipple.

The head spacing is directly related to the OA length of the breech plug. If its too short, then gas will certainly leak. If its too long, then you can't close the bolt. So a properly head spaced breech plug is a must.

Now I'll throw a wrench into the entire works................

No matter how well head spaced the BP is, if the case head thickness varies, well then there's an issue. AND THEY DO!! I've found them vary as much as .005" in thickness. The next thing that the brass does, is it forms a memory. When you close the bolt and press the case against the nipple the memory starts forming. This is why when using the recommended propellant, there's an unknown number of times each brass can be re-primed.
So each time you re-prime and close the bolt on a piece of brass, you're contributing to the memory. Once it gets where it isn't a tight seal, well gas starts to escape you you'll gas cut the nipple, requiring replacement.

ALAS............ There is a way around the brass head thickness issue, thus closing up the seal. Myself, I'll never re-prime over twice though.
Because the brass case head thickness varies, I looked through 1,000 pieces and found the thinnest that I could find. That piece was used to set my head space, which also made any thicker pieces of brass to not allow me to close the bolt. To fix that, I have a reamer that is adjustable for depth and can ream the flash hole. However..... case length then comes into play. So I trim all my cases to the exact length. This allows my adjustable reamer the ability to do all my cases identical. I set the depth using my pilot case, also trimmed to length to match all the other. Then after setting the reamer, I ream all the other cases. Each one is exactly identical to any other when I'm finished.

Yes, there's work to it but, I shoot A LOT of rounds, so to keep my breech plug in working order, I accept the work. What else is there to do in the winter, other than watching re-runs on TV?

Get it set right, and there's no other .50cal manufactured rifle that will shoot more accurately and at long range.

Thanks, that explains why some brass chambered harder than other the first time through. I expect that I have shot 13 rounds of BH209 so far, so probably a total of 25-30 this year then probably 5-10 yearly from here on out. How do you identify a gas cut BP? Thank you for all your info!

Thanks, that explains why some brass chambered harder than other the first time through. I expect that I have shot 13 rounds of BH209 so far, so probably a total of 25-30 this year then probably 5-10 yearly from here on out. How do you identify a gas cut BP? Thank you for all your info!

ANY that show signs of leaking, do not use again. I bag mine up and sell them to a .45WinMag shooter.

Any signs. Here's a photo.....

Well I did call Remington just now and the lady I talked to said she was asked this just last week and she said the 209 is not compatible with the 700UML, looks like I'll be going back to pellets. Dam I really liked shooting the 209 and not having to swab the barrel between shots.

Well I did call Remington just now and the lady I talked to said she was asked this just last week and she said the 209 is not compatible with the 700UML, looks like I'll be going back to pellets. Dam I really liked shooting the 209 and not having to swab the barrel between shots.

I guess that's why they never printed it in the manual, and the reason Western hasn't published it. Its pretty easy to determine the maximum charge, which Western has, but that's never been the issue with the ignition system.

The way those HUNTING rifles will shoot as they're designed, it'll always be more the shooter than the rifle.
Swabbing isn't that bad and we've been doing it for a couple hundred years, its just that BH gave people (in general), a propellant that didn't always require it. However....... if one was to shoot for the tightest possible groups, especially at long range or in competition, you would still have swab between each shot, even with BH.

DO NOT under estimate how well pellets (T7) may shoot through these rifles. I have outstanding targets at 400 and 500 using pellets and a full rest. No it won't happen every day, because I'm not practicing it everyday. However, if you shoot enough, they'll shoot excellent long range groups, well beyond the ranges/capabilities of other production rifles.

Thank you for that Remington call and update.

I guess my big thing is we "push" deer when hunting quite a bit, so a fast reload is important. Guess I'll just have to practice my reload time. Also most shots are 50-150 yards so accuracy isn't super critical. Thanks Encore for your insight & patience with us greenhorns :rolleyes: BTW I do plan on sitting on a beanfield at dusk to stretch out my shot to see how I can do.

I guess my big thing is we "push" deer when hunting quite a bit, so a fast reload is important. Guess I'll just have to practice my reload time. Also most shots are 50-150 yards so accuracy isn't super critical. Thanks Encore for your insight & patience with us greenhorns :rolleyes: BTW I do plan on sitting on a beanfield at dusk to stretch out my shot to see how I can do.

Pellets................ full rest

I use 120 grains by weight of BH 209 out of two ultimates and have had no trouble and outstanding accuracy. I'm not talking outstanding for a muzzleloader I'm talking 3 shots touching each other at 200 yards with the Remington sabots. I smoked a mule deer at 200 yards with it, no tracking required. I'm not an expert by any means but I've put around 100 of these charges through one of them and have had no issues other than extreme performance. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a deer sized animal out to 400 yards if given the opportunity. In my experience the pellets are just too inconsistent in weight to get more than mediocre performance but maybe it's just me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.