Ultimate Muzzleloader......

Haven't read all threw your post but have you tried 250 SST at longer ranges (300+ yards)? With my sml I've been shooting lights out and they have been shooting better then the Parker bullets both the BE's and match hunters. Don't understand why but they have been.

Haven't read all threw your post but have you tried 250 SST at longer ranges (300+ yards)? With my sml I've been shooting lights out and they have been shooting better then the Parker bullets both the BE's and match hunters. Don't understand why but they have been.

Been staying away from the 250gr bullets, for the energy of the 300's. I did however buy 100 bulk 300gr SST's from Luke and they don't shoot for crap. I shot 300yds the last time at the range, with the WM bullet first, then the SST. The WM bullets grouped at 1 5/8" and the SST at 4". Not satisfied, I shot the bullets in reverse order with the identical results. That'll make you scratch your head......

New to muzzle loading, but not long range. Looking at getting a long range (400-600yds) muzzle loader and the Ultimate seems like the ticket.

New to muzzle loading, but not long range. Looking at getting a long range (400-600yds) muzzle loader and the Ultimate seems like the ticket.

The ultimate is a neat rifle and is a long range ml however if you can shoot smokeless you want to get a sml. I have a 45 smokeless that will shoot 600 and if I learn how to dope the wind I could shot it to 1000 yards. However I'm new to long range so I'm stuck at 450 yards at the moment.

Here is a sml shooting 1000 yards.

Gift in mail box | Doug's Message Boards

Been staying away from the 250gr bullets, for the energy of the 300's. I did however buy 100 bulk 300gr SST's from Luke and they don't shoot for crap. I shot 300yds the last time at the range, with the WM bullet first, then the SST. The WM bullets grouped at 1 5/8" and the SST at 4". Not satisfied, I shot the bullets in reverse order with the identical results. That'll make you scratch your head......

Were you using factory sabots with the SST, if so switch to a high pressure sabot. Alot of standard sabots will not hold up to the heat the Ultimate produces and it will cause terrible accuracy.

Were you using factory sabots with the SST, if so switch to a high pressure sabot. Alot of standard sabots will not hold up to the heat the Ultimate produces and it will cause terrible accuracy.

I was using the identical sabot that Ken has, actually right from the baggie I got from him. Its the Harvester H5045LB.

There IS a difference in the bullets and the WM is not the normal SST. I sent 10 of each to a guy that cut them in half, melted down the lead and by now he should know the jacket thickness. What he has already informed me of, is that the hardness of the lead IS different.

"The reading they were getting was a negative on every scale they used, the most accurate one showed the WM as a -180 and the SST as a -165 consistently. The WM are softer which may make them obturate easier in the sabot allowing better bullet to sabot to bore fit. I will try to measure jacket thickness here in a bit."

Hey CHECK out remingtons new ultimate for no where near the price and it will do the same thing my freinds they will also put them in a pile from a 1/4 of a mile

It appears there's some differences of opinions. Although the Remington is a nice rifle, some are finding tight groups to be somewhat of a problem. Now rather it was the rifle or this guy's abilities is the question. Maybe this shooter just had a bad day? Its accuracy is all going to depend on how constant it is loaded, and of course the barrel.

The Ultimate Muzzleloader is a Remington? – GunsAmerica Blog

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.