Looking for advice 6.5prc

LocalJW

Update: Hello,

I performed a seating depth test on my rifle and bullets following this article below off a bench with a lead sled based support @ 100 yards.

Rifle:
Bergara B14 Wilderness Ridge 6.5prc

Scope:
NF NX8 4-32x50

Bullets:
6.5mm Berger 156g EOL
Nosler Brass
CCI 200 Primers
54.5gr RL26

My process:
Shot 1st 3 Shot group of each bullet. The better of the group i then shot the 2nd group of 3 bullets. 1s are labeled over first shot groups. 2s are labeled over 2nd shot groups.

Attached are the results after following the seating depth test. Some groups I only shot 2 bullets due to being such a large spread and already not liking the results it showed.

It appears that 2.254 (.120 off lands) is the most consistent. Not an amazing group but consistent. The dots are 5/8" dots. I have not officially measured all bullets groups yet. 2.240 OAL did shoot consistent but not as tight as the 2.254.

How would you analyze and what would be your advice?

Would you start making powder charge loads on the 2.254 OAL or would you look into a different powder and look better (tighter groups). All advice appreciated.

Attachments

• 9E502BE6-B48D-4E2D-9492-77610662BE4C.jpeg
    9E502BE6-B48D-4E2D-9492-77610662BE4C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 106
Your top group at .040 off the lands look great on the first round then the second round what happened that is a very large spread from three touching to a 1000 yard group on the second round. I would ditch the lead sled for one and work at it again. I would definitely check the torque on the action, just odd to see three touching and then a spread as big as you show on the second setup.

My gunsmith, whom I consider to be pretty much at the genius level told me that the worst
thing you can do to a gun is to use a lead sled. If your gun can't recoil properly there is nowhere
for the energy to go. It just beats your gun to death.

X4. Ditch the Lead Sled. Then shoot your same load again.

I like 2.254" also.

After that, I would try a primer swap next. Then neck tension if it goes that far.