New handloader looking for advice!

Blacksnake0

First time reloader looking for load data for .300 win mag shooting Barnes 180 grain TSX. I bought some RL22 loaded a few rounds saw pretty poor results compared to factory Nosler. Barnes manual calls for max load of 69 grains RL22 which seems low compared to all other powders. Any help? As I said first time loader so go easy on me.

180 gr accubonds. Accuracy was the issue. I started with 62 grains of RL22 as called for in Barnes manual.

Just kind of walking through the basics. What size groups were you getting with the Accubonds, and what happened with the Barnes?

A little about your rifle set up would be helpful.

1 inch group with Nosler. Brand new rifle first time out which is why I shot factory stuff trying to get sighted in and get a base to gauge handloads. My loads never patterned and were 2.5 inches apart. 24 inch Krieger 1:10 twist Stiller predator action.

my Krieger barrel rifles shoot really small groups. what scope and trigger ? a stiller/ Krieger should shoot very very good groups with everything.

RL-22 should work. I went through loaddats.com, and could not find the 180 TSX loaded with it.

Other 180 bullets using it, call for mostly in the mid-70 grain range with one max load listed at 80 grains.

What's the overall length, and how much magazine length is available.

Jewell trigger.

Loaded at 3.34. Have now found chamber length to be 3.4325 so plan to load next rounds .05 less based on what I have read on seating Barnes bullets.

Scope is Swaro z3 4x12.

I would make sure it's very clean to start with. Sometimes jacketed and mono-metals don't mix.

Seating depth is a good place to look.

Jumping from 1" to 2.5" is not something I would expect from the rifle set up you have. Things do get loose sometimes, make sure everything is where you want it, scope and all.

I followed the shoot one clean routine and noticed the copper fouling was less towards the end of my shooting. I may have been getting impatient towards the end as well. I am confident the gun will shoot based on the Nosler rounds. I will see how the change n seating depth goes next time out.

First time reloader looking for load data for .300 win mag shooting Barnes 180 grain TSX. I bought some RL22 loaded a few rounds saw pretty poor results compared to factory Nosler. Barnes manual calls for max load of 69 grains RL22 which seems low compared to all other powders. Any help? As I said first time loader so go easy on me.
You mentioned that you are a first time reloader,,,When I was a first time reloader, I could not print small groups until I learned how to adjust dies properly, adjust OAL of cartridges close to the lands, checking trim length of cases, case prepping, equal powder charges, good rifle, good scope with good mounts to ensure good accuracy. Are you using a full sizing die? Start 10% below max charge and work your way up in .3 increments until you find a good group and play with bullet seating depth once you find a nice group. Keep us posted and I am sure there are lots of people here to help you.

Barnes bullets are sometimes finicky to shoot good tidy groups, try Bergers , Noslers, Sierras.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.