Looking for a specific round.

NamesReed

Im looking for a cartridge that uses a large magnum bolt face (300 WM and the likes), but is a very light shooter. Something with very little recoil. Does this exist? Bullet caliber preferably in the 6.5mm and lower range. Capable of 1k yard stuff preferably.

Is the 243 WSSM any good for accuracy?

Last edited:
The more powder you stuff behind it, the more boom you get. I would also stay away from anything WSSM as brass is nearly impossible to find.

The only thing I could think of that would use that bolt face that would recoil lightly, and use around 6.5mm bullet would be the 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag).

If you had a .473" bolt face (.308/.30-06) you could build a 6.5 Sherman and it uses the .270 Win case for forming brass.

Im looking for a cartridge that uses a large magnum bolt face (300 WM and the likes), but is a very light shooter. Something with very little recoil. Does this exist? Bullet caliber preferably in the 6.5mm and lower range. Capable of 1k yard stuff preferably.

Is the 243 WSSM any good for accuracy?
What action do you have? Long or short action?

Unfortunately the cartridge doesn't exist because of the old physics law...for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction ! You just can't get away from it...power vs no recoil just can't happen..something built off of a WSM or SAUM case might get you close with a break but there's not much else that meets the criteria.

Long action savage 111. Currently chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Now i have a 300 WM so i dont need a LR hunting gun. Would like something to shoot prairie dogs and steel now.

You'll have to find the best compromise you can live with, i.e. .264 Win Mag (basically a 7MM RM necked down to 6.5MM) with muzzle brake (lots of very effective muzzle brakes nowadays to choose from).

Good luck!

I gotta tell ya, im flat out amazed with the 7mm version of the sherman shortmag. I mean, i guess if you want the 6.5, go for it, but the 7 will outshoot it overall. Id say the advantage of a 6.5 would be flat shooting at ranges up to 1000-1200. But the energy is quite a bit lower which is important to me.

But it shoots a bullet faster and heavier than many factory loaded 300 win mag bullets so recoil may not be your friend without a muzzle brake. Still not as hard as a hot handloaded 300 win mag though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts