Just a thought for a new round:

skip AI

Has anyone ever necked a .221 Fireball up to 6mm and had it AI?
Would it work?
Would make a neat quiet crow popper out to 300m using 65gn V-Max?

TIA

You would probably be better off with a 6mmPPC. Better brass, available dies and better accuracy.

However, if you built a 6mm-221 you would be the first one on the block to have one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I might get one built, what velocity's do you think it would be capable of using 55-65gn bullets?
I got the idea from the .300 Whisper style design.

cheers

Skip AI,

I would think you would come close to matching the velocity of a 223 with same weight bullets. The larger bore and shorter baring surface on the barrel will really free up the velocity. Would be a very long barrel life round.

If the rifle was built properly with a properly designed chamber, I would say the 6mm PPC would give you any more accuracy or consistancy. With a little sorting at the loading bench and case trimming you can get extremely tight groups using the Fireball cases.

I have had three XP-100 factory handguns over the years and the worst shooting one of the bunch was a 3/4 moa handgun at 100 yards with a 4x scope.

The best of the three I still own and always will. It is a legit 1/4 moa handgun out to 200 yards using a Burris 2-7x handgun scope.

I am just getting ready to build myself a light weight walking rifle in 221 FB and I will be very unhappy if it does not hold 1/4 moa out to well past 200 yards with quality loads.

I would not worry to much about the FB case. Get the reamer designed properly with a throat designed for accuracy and a snug neck and body and you will be very happy with the results I assure you.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts