Looking for a shooter close to $1000

djfriesen

So I had the front stud tear off of my Sako a7 last weekend (it happened while getting my rifle re-zeroed after a scope ring failure, but that's a whole other story).

This issue, coupled with the shorter action, which requires me to single shot my eld-x handloads, is making me consider a new rifle.

I'm leaning towards either a Remington Long range or AWR. I would prefer to stay with 7mmRM, and would like to stay under our close to $1000.

I'm open to other suggestions, but there would probably need to be fairly compelling reasons to go away from a Remington.

What are your guys' thoughts?

If you wait for a sale on a Remington LR and don't mind the extra weight, go with that route and be well under 1k with little mods required.

Those seem like good options for a 7mm under 1k. I believe they make a stainless 700 long range.
The stud that tore out on your sako a7, was it a rough tech version or regular. The rough techs use bell and Carlson stocks, same as the 700 long range.

Those seem like good options for a 7mm under 1k. I believe they make a stainless 700 long range.
The stud that tore out on your sako a7, was it a rough tech version or regular. The rough techs use bell and Carlson stocks, same as the 700 long range.

It was a standard a7. I'm fairly sure the break was due to the bipod mounted up front just transferring some weird stress concentrations under recoil.

From what I'm seeing, they're a little over $1000. It is definitely on my mind as an option though.

A Savage. Compelling reason? It'll outshoot a Remy, and who doesn't like something a little ugly. All kidding aside you could probably screw together a Savage on your own with a decent aftermarket barrel and stock for around 1k.

I'd go with the 700 AWR. A magnum sporter weight 5R barrel on a 700 action is going to be hard to beat. Their other factory heavy barreled 5R offerings shoot sub-1/2 MOA on average, and some under 1/4 MOA. My 5R Milspec .308 Win shoots .1xx-.3xx groups on average.

So I had the front stud tear off of my Sako a7 last weekend (it happened while getting my rifle re-zeroed after a scope ring failure, but that's a whole other story).

This issue, coupled with the shorter action, which requires me to single shot my eld-x handloads, is making me consider a new rifle.

I'm leaning towards either a Remington Long range or AWR. I would prefer to stay with 7mmRM, and would like to stay under our close to $1000.

I'm open to other suggestions, but there would probably need to be fairly compelling reasons to go away from a Remington.

What are your guys' thoughts?

The new issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN contains a great article by Bryce Towsley regarding the Rem AWR in .338 Ultramag. You should read it before you decide.

The new issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN contains a great article by Bryce Towsley regarding the Rem AWR in .338 Ultramag. You should read it before you decide.

American Hunter maybe? I just finished Rifleman and didn't see it.

It's a tad over your budget (I've seen them in my local Scheels' for ~$1100ish) but you might checkout https://christensenarms.com/mesa/
I know you're really set on the Remington, my Rem 700 SPS with a Bell and Carlson medalist stock and a trigger job shoots under .5" consistently.

Just food for thought, my mentor, Korean War vet, has 3 Browning X bolts, 243, 308 and 270 WSM and all of them shoot between .5" and .25". All three are stock, right out of the box. He just fiddled with the loads a llittle. Not bedded or anything. The 270 WSM shoots .25" al day long. He passed away a couple of months ago but he was really impressed. He was a life long shooter. Don't know how I'm going to get along without him.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts