Looking for a rifle to recommend to my father

Take it from a 4x grandpa, "dad eyes appreciate good glass and really good glass even more."
He agrees….when he is shooting my rifle. When shooting his own, he prefers the struggle, or so it seems. He just doesn't value much additional to a basic sight picture.

There are not words in the English language to explain the difference between a $300 optic and a $1400 optic.

Tikka's also have a nice selection of aftermarket stocks. A 6.5cm tikka with an aftermarket stock (for a total cost of 1100-1200) would be very difficult to beat. Unless that counts as custom stuff.
I agree. He sees it as wasting money on a maybe….like maybe it is better or maybe it is not. He also gets real hung up on a basic Tikka is $600, but a stock is like $300-$900. He struggles to understand that adding ~$600 is worth it, however a person judges that.

Recoil is a factor when target shooting, but who feels recoil when shooting the one shot at a nice deer, elk, hog, yote???
Just put a good Pachmayer recoil pad on whatever he is shooting. Have the rifle dialed in and let him take the one shot at his trophy.
Recoil is a factor shooting enough rounds in pre-season to improve skills. He lives near several skilled gunsmiths, but was burned pretty good by a guy on a pistol mount so he kind of feels they might take his money or fail to deliver. That guy bolted on a mount to his revolver. Charged him double for the mount and the scope was rotated in the mount. He asked the guy to fix and I think he was treated poorly enough, he brought it home as is and did it himself.

He agrees….when he is shooting my rifle. When shooting his own, he prefers the struggle, or so it seems. He just doesn't value much additional to a basic sight picture.

There are not words in the English language to explain the difference between a $300 optic and a $1400 optic.

I agree. He sees it as wasting money on a maybe….like maybe it is better or maybe it is not. He also gets real hung up on a basic Tikka is $600, but a stock is like $300-$900. He struggles to understand that adding ~$600 is worth it, however a person judges that.

Recoil is a factor shooting enough rounds in pre-season to improve skills. He lives near several skilled gunsmiths, but was burned pretty good by a guy on a pistol mount so he kind of feels they might take his money or fail to deliver. That guy bolted on a mount to his revolver. Charged him double for the mount and the scope was rotated in the mount. He asked the guy to fix and I think he was treated poorly enough, he brought it home as is and did it himself.
For those of us who grew up poor,we are very much aware of costs and justification there of....
If he keeps his shots under 500yds. He can get by with working man's equipment...
Lotsa 500$ guns out there will shoot .500 MOA.spend the rest on a good 3x9 scope.

He is solidly in the camp of no custom stuff. He likes his Tikka 270 WSM, but looking for a lighter recoiling rifle.

We're thinking 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7-08…

He would buy a Tikka….cheapest Tikka he could find, but I'm trying to get him to think about options in the $1000-$1500 range to give him a more complete rifle….but I have to admit the $600-$800 Tikka option doesn't look bad.

What else should we be looking at?
If he likes modern new rifles, get a 6.5 creedmore. If not, then I would not even think he would like putting a muzzle brake on his 270. So go to 7.08 or 260 Rem. And you can never go wrong with a 308.

Totally understand it, my dad is much the same. Does he have any preference for weight?
Just sticking with the tikka, a tikka with a limb saver will recoil about as tame as you can get for that weight of rifle (without a brake). You can go up to the roughtech at 900 ish (got mine for 850) that has the beefier barrel, which is nice since you can stick a brake on it, and you get more mass to reduce the recoil. I can shoot my tikka 270wsm roughtech without the brake about 20 times before my shoulder gets a little sore. I did put a brake on it just to make it very pleasant to shoot (actually recoils less than my dad's 7-08). Looks like a tikka supervarmint with the adjustable cheek riser is about 1300. It'll be chunky to carry around but it will probably shoot like a dream (again, limbsaver still needed lol). That gun is also a good demonstration for him of what a tikka+features, whether factory or not, costs you.

Looking elsewhere, the heavier bergaras are probably the best contender in the sub 1000 price range. Actually the B14 HMR looks really nice if he doesn't mind a 10lb before scope rifle (take a look at the B14S382 or the B14S652). I haven't had one but I hear great things about them.

He is solidly in the camp of no custom stuff. He likes his Tikka 270 WSM, but looking for a lighter recoiling rifle.

We're thinking 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x55, 7-08…

He would buy a Tikka….cheapest Tikka he could find, but I'm trying to get him to think about options in the $1000-$1500 range to give him a more complete rifle….but I have to admit the $600-$800 Tikka option doesn't look bad.

What else should we be looking at?
There isn't any flys on a Tikka & add a limb saver recoil pad.

I'm fond of 7mm-08.

Find some 150 ELDX & let it eat.

If you'll talk him into a new stock that'll fit him will help drastically with the recoil affects several folks make them to fit that action. It was eye opening for me how something that simple makes a huge difference. I grew up without much play money and dad flipped his **** first time he came home to 12yr old me had a rifle in pieces. But after he finally calmed down and saw how much difference in accuracy, shootability a trigger and stock swap made he's been a believer.

Like the tikka's very much, 7-08, 6.5 cm or swede great choices but if he's very budget minded see what he thinks about the Ruger Americans, like the tikka's out of the box accuracy is very good. But $250 cheaper, that'll put a vortex diamondback or the likes on it. I know the Ruger and Tikka actions are not close as far as smoothness but if it gets him in the store and to the counter it's a place to start, as far as familiarity I'd stay with the Tikka or give what Ua26fitter suggested a try, good luck with pops

Recent Posts