looking for a scope

preddhunter

i am looking for a new scope that is around 300 dollars or less for my 223. i use it for punching paper and coyote hunting. looking for something in the 4-12 power range. target turets would be a plus.

thanks

Last edited:
I have a few Nikons on some of my rifles. I'm a fan of Nikon Buckmasters because of their quality in that price range.
Here's my recomendations of scopes that I own in your price range.
Nikon Buckmaster 6.5-18x42 with target turrets, for $300 bucks. That's a killer deal and I really like the target turrets because, on the gun I have it on, I dial up and down alot.
Clearidge makes a 4.5-14x40 for $340. They are made in the Bushnell plant for Clearidge and from what I understand they use the same glass as the 4200 Bushnell.
Vortex Viper 4-12x40 for $399 at Sportsman Warehouse. I just got one last week to replace a faulty scope. I really like this scope. It's my top pick out of these three and I really like the paralax adjustment.

Another scope, which I don't own, is the Nitrex TR2 3-15x42. From what I hear they are good scopes. Natchez has them on sale for $318 and Nitrex has a $100 rebate! that's $218 for a $500+ scope. Crazy

I agree with LRSickle on considering the Nitrex by Weaver TR2 3-15X42 SF with pullup turrets available at www.natchezss.com

I've owned this scope for over 2 months now and it is mounted on my 7mm-08 rifle. Have fired well over 100 rounds downrange with this rifle and scope has proved itself an outstanding buy. Gents I shoot with on a regular basis have had opportunity to evaluate the scope and all have rated it a darn good scope with outstanding optics and features that easily match their Leupolds, Nikons, Burris and I've had one Zeiss Conquest guy admit the same thing after spending a few minutes with my Nitrex. It really is an outstanding bargain for a quality scope. I was so happy with the Nitrex, ordered a TR2 4-20X50 SF for my 7x57 Ruger 77 rifle.

Minor correction to LRSickle. My TR2 3-15x42 SF with Trex-Plex reticle Natchez sells for $299.95, plus around $18 shipping. Nitrex $100 Rebate (which takes about 4-5 wks to get back) then brings final cost down to $218. By the way, this Nitrex is basically a Weaver Super Slam that retails for around $700, but can be purchased for around $490

Last edited:
preddhunter,
I'm a big Leupold, Night Force, Trijicon type guy... just on an off chance it might work for a jeep gun…. I ordered one of the Leatherwood CMR 1x4 Illuminated reticle scopes... I put it on one of my AR15's... It's a great scope; unreal for the money... I bought mine from, Natchez Supply for $249.00 on sale... I have; and have used many scopes from $600.00 to $3000.00 and to be honest; this CMR doesn't give up much to the others.
But it's the "reticle" you'll love... wow…. I wish Leupold or S&B would pick this reticle up..... It would be one of best in any power. The only other Leatherwood I've used was on the M21 (back in the day) when they used Jim's mount and Realist scope, which I thought was a fantastic piece of glass, and a very, very strong scope; but I was never real happy with his scopes ballistic camming mechanism,. It could have been better…and I told him so many times'…, but that was then... back to the CMR
If you get a chance'…, look one over'.., I don't think you'll be disappointed.
[FONT=&quot]436

[/FONT]

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts