Looking for a Scope for 220 Swift

drenner43

I'm looking for a new scope for my 220 Swift. Will be doing varmint/coyote hunting and short to medium range shooting for practice. I think I'd like an MOA based reticle but not set on it. I was thinking about a Vortex PST FFP or a Leupold VX-3 with varmint hunters reticle. What do you think about these 2? How does the glass compare? Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks

Daniel

I'm looking for a new scope for my 220 Swift. Will be doing varmint/coyote hunting and short to medium range shooting for practice. I think I'd like an MOA based reticle but not set on it. I was thinking about a Vortex PST FFP or a Leupold VX-3 with varmint hunters reticle. What do you think about these 2? How does the glass compare? Any other suggestions are welcome as well. Thanks

Daniel

I love the VX-3 varmint reticle. I will be putting it on my new 6 AI build. I don't know a lot on Vortex other than I have heard they have had a lot of issues with tracking. Some have said they fixed this recently, so I don't know. I know they aren't as durable as Leupolds either, but I don't imagine you will banging your guns around.

You can't miss with the leupold. The clarity is better on it too. You may get a bit better value with the Vortex. But I am not sold on them quite yet.

I use the vx-3's with varmint ret. on my smaller pdog/varmint guns (.223/22-250/swift) and Zeiss conquest with z-ples ret. on larger ones.

How is that z-ples? I can't find one to look at around here.

i like 'em, they have different ranges so you can match reticle to appropriate ranges, (I use the z-600 and z-800 the most, (the z-1000 is sort of "busy") and calibers .
The varmint ret. isn't very useful in low lite conditions as the lines are very thin, but work great on pdogs, etc. The z-plex stadia lines are a little heavier but work great for coyotes, etc. I use the z-800 on a .300RUM for deer/elk., and on a .243 AI for dogs. I only have 2 scopes that I dial anymore, much prefer to spend my time just shooting, very easy to do with these reticles, just range a few distances when I first get to pdog town or coyote "set" and then use the reticle.

i like 'em, they have different ranges so you can match reticle to appropriate ranges, (I use the z-600 and z-800 the most, (the z-1000 is sort of "busy") and calibers .
The varmint ret. isn't very useful in low lite conditions as the lines are very thin, but work great on pdogs, etc. The z-plex stadia lines are a little heavier but work great for coyotes, etc. I use the z-800 on a .300RUM for deer/elk., and on a .243 AI for dogs. I only have 2 scopes that I dial anymore, much prefer to spend my time just shooting, very easy to do with these reticles, just range a few distances when I first get to pdog town or coyote "set" and then use the reticle.

I completely understand. These days I find myself dialing rarely, even with my Mk 4. Especially when I am hunting.

Anybody else have any input on this? Any glass info from someone who has used them both? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.