Looking for a new .280 Ackley recipe...

Dan B

Up until now I've been feeding the Rem 700 .280AI (24" Douglas barrel) a steady diet of 168gr SMK's. That was until I really got into reading up on bullets BC's and see that this bullet is rather poor in that department!! The BC of .488 to .494 in the velocity range I'd be shooting them is kinda sad. Especially when looked at against the 160gr AB @ .531, 154gr SST @ .525 and the best (IMO) 162gr A-Max @ .625 (my fave bullet from the APS 7mm-270WSM XP-100).

Under the SMK's I've used a bunch of RL-22 but was thinking of trying H4831SC. Any input or recommended starting loads for the previously mentioned bullets? My main use will be deer and steel plates. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan B,

I am shooting a 700 w/ a Hart #5 flutted 24" barrel.
RL22 is the powder to use with the 160 gr AB.
[image]
280AI160grAB.jpg
[/image]
This load is safe in MY rifle. Work up carefully.

JD338

That load may about right for my rifle also...but of course I'll work up to it.

I'm using 58gr under the 168gr SMK...from your data, it seems that my load will be a good starting point to work up with several lighter bullets. Thanks.

If you have been using 168 SMK's, why not switch over to the Berger? It has a much higher BC than the SMK and the A-max. They seem to shoot well in everything that I have from a 7mm-08 to 7mmSTW. Deadly on game as well.

Good suggestion.

Been thinking of trying them in the 7mm-270WSM so I may as well launch a few from the .280AI. It only sees about 50 rounds a year (at most) so I would not need to lay into an overly large supply. I have this "thing" about loading up on bullets once I find something that works in a certain gun!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.