LRH 300 ackley magnum recipe?

Oliveralan

Hello,

A good friend passed on his 300 ackley magnum to me a few weeks ago. I am having a lot of trouble finding load data. Most of what i can find is with RL25 and that is too temp sensitive and inconsistent batch-to-batch for me. I am thinking VV-N570, Retumbo, H1000, N170.... all powders i can acquire locally without much hassle. I want to shoot 210 berger VLDs. I am using fire-formed 300 weatherby brass and have CCI BR2 and FGMM 210s on hand.

thanks,
Oliver

Does nobody have a 300 wby imp variant??

Sorry Oliveralan, my load book only goes from 300Win to Wby to Dakota to Rum. 0 data on the Ackley. Try Bounty Hunter, I recently read a post where he had a load book that listed some lesser known cartriges. Maybe he can help.

I'd have said Loaddata.com, but see nothing there.

I strongly suggest that you develop it yourself from a known load in the standard caliber rather than look for a recipe elsewhere. How is the chamber cut on this - lots of freebore or not? Beware with this as you can see big pressure changes based on this alone. At least question whoever gives you data to be sure that at least this is not an issue.

I'd just work it up from my compnents in my rifle if I were you.

Let us know what you rifle does once you've got the load sorted!

Alright. I think I will just start with medium 300 weathrby loads and go from there.

BH,
yes I have the right dies, the chamber and dies were cut with the same reamer. This is a blown out case with 40degree shoulder. Like a 308 Baer but sharper shoulder and little shorter neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.