New 28 nosler build looking for a recipe

Xpress-Kill

Hey guys been a member for years but mostly lurked in the shadows. Just broke down and broke the bank on a 28 nosler. I've shot almost 3 boxes of factory nosler ammo, both the 175 ablr and the 160 ab. Seemed to shoot the 160s better now I've got Retumbo, h1000, 7828ssc, and 4350 to load with. I've got a box of 175 Eld-x, 160 accubonds, and going to pickup a box of 168 and 180 hunting vlds. Looking for some loads that someone has had success with. Also this thing is throated to Saami spec. So COAL is going to have to be reasonable. And it has a 26" pipe. I would normally work it up on my own load but being how rediculas this brass is for availability and price if I can id like to maybe save a few firings on my brass. Any advice would be great. Thank you much. Tyler

I'll tag in. I have a factory Nosler rifle so I could use some load info as well. I'm looking at the same bullets plus maybe the Barnes 168 LRX and the Hammer 155 and 177.

I have tried a bunch of different loads and the best I have so far is 180 hunting vlds and H1000

Okay thank you axl.... I was figuring on shooting burgers. I've always had best luck with them in my 300 rum and my dads 7rm. What do you load for a charge and what do you seat for OAL?

I wouldn't rethroat your chamber for the 195s. Just load so they fit and feed, remember hybrids are usually not seating depth sensitive.

Nosler has load data listed for their bullets which can give you a clue on where to start. Note their top load for the 175 LRAB with H1000 is 79 grs.

I would think Retumbo, US869 or RL-33 would be better choices for the 195.

Nosler's load data for the 28 Nosler

28 Nosler Load Data

Yes I agree azshooter.... If I throat it for 195s it more than likely won't shoot anything lighter.... Dies should show up in the mail today.... Time to start tinkering. Thanks for the help guys

Still working on improving my load but here is what is my best load so far.
180 Berger vld fed 215 primer 78 gr H1000. BTO 2.805 .055 JUMP 3103 avg velocity
SD 9 ES 27. shoots 1/2 MOA to 500 yards that is the longest place I have to shoot now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.