Looking for a good rifle

Here is the thing about hunting and shooting. We all want to be the best we can be. We will bust each others chops all in good fun but at the end of day most people on here give the best advice the have real life experience with. I know for me I enjoy shooting and hunting with my little women even though she is box blind queen

To the OP, sorry about the derailed thread.

My suggestion for pretty much every (adult) new shooter is a .243. Doesnt have the kick that some do, ammo is usually easy to find, and it can be used for everything from prairie dogs to deer.

Good luck in your search.

If you want a basic, do all gun with manageable recoil, I would suggest either a 308 or 7-08. Lots of rounds available for these calibers and they will handle all of North America game. If you are getting a "lifetime" rifle buy a good Remington factory or even a semi custom built (there are several available here in classifieds for under $2K. I don't know your budget, but I like to spend at least as much on my optics as I do on my gun, as good optics are key to me. You did not mention if you hand load, but stay away from any new calibers, AI's or less popular rounds if you don't handload as you want to be able to get ammo easily.

If you want one rifle with one round for all your game (deer down), you will need to settle on a bullet in the 140-165 gr range. If you don't mind having different POI you can shoot both of these with different grain bullets, lighter for predators and heavies for big game.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

You and Jill are 100% correct and it was a tongue in cheek comment better left unsaid.

I apologize to "everyone" on LRH that was offended.
Muddy
Craig
We love your humor and other informational posts. You are one of the best LRH members.
I sent you a PM
Thanks much
Jill