Looking for a day or two ground hog shooting

Pete L

Iam off to Florida (disney Land) this October for 2 weeks whilst Ima over there I would love to pick up a couple of days praire dog/vermin hunting cam anyone help a Brit with a passion for long range shooting

For groundhogs you'll need to head north about 10 hours.
For praire dogs head northwest about 20 hours.
Most of florida is a jungle/swamp.

In others words -->> florida sucks! ME

Ackley -
If you can swing by NE Indiana, try a stop @ Sinclairs, located between Ft Wayne and New Haven, IN.

THey have shooter there who can likely turn you onto some good local groundhoggin spots.

Peak shooting time for these animals is now through
04 Jul, with the sweet spot being last week of May ,first week of Jun typically. This is when groudnhogs will be out eating their favorite food..soybeans.

Let's not forget, the scientific name for groundhog is:

" soybeanus digestus ".

You can quote me, Kevin J. Werling; Allen County, IN

I'm just back form Florida myself, and just signed-in

.357Mag

Ol'mike - 20 hours northwest? that should put him right here in southern Alberta! I don't know, just guessing but we've never driven to Florida. In October, prairie dogs or gophers as we call them are hibernating. Besides, last year's spring floods really beat the crap out of them, not to mention yours truly and his beloved CZ452. Go Flames Go...

ok guys , does this mean any outsider can just fly to the US, clear rifle through customs and start shooting p. dogs and such ???

Elkfirst ,
Does your mode of transportation have a propeller.
Sad to hear about the spring floods and your varmint washout.I to have a 452 cz in 17hmr,brookies trigger ,bkl scope mounts ,glassbedded etc. it is a dream rimfire -imo-.Consistant 5/8"-3/4" groups.It has killed many pd's ,crows ,even a couple of coyotes-i wouldn't take $200 -more than i paid for it!

Alg ,

In a round about way you can come to the USA and start shooting praire dogs.
Finding a place to shoot -well that's a question that gets asked all the time on many different boards.
Varmint hunting has become very popular in the past 10yrs and there are only so many to go around.
Hunting on public land is always an option but from what i've seen the locals keep most varmints in check for the most part.
When i started as a teen in the 70's i had it all to myself,now lots of people do it.
If you wanted to give it a whirl you could expect to spend a few days knocking on ranchers doors and asking permission-when one says ok -let'r rip! ME

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.