First long range ground Hog

SavageShtr

I Finally got my first long range kill with my Savage 300wsm at 839 yards. I just thought I would share my succes with you all. I have learned a lot from you all over the past couple of years.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 124
Yes that is the entrance wound. I was kind of disappointed with the expansion of the bullet myself. The bullet pretty much penciled through. The bullet entered the neck and exited behind the opposite shoulder. I was using Nosler 175gr custom comp's at 3100 fps muzzle. At that distance it was traveling at around 1700 fps and had around 1222 ft-lbs. My only guess is that it didn't hit anything solid enough to expand.

Yes that is the entrance wound. I was kind of disappointed with the expansion of the bullet myself. The bullet pretty much penciled through. The bullet entered the neck and exited behind the opposite shoulder. I was using Nosler 175gr custom comp's at 3100 fps muzzle. At that distance it was traveling at around 1700 fps and had around 1222 ft-lbs. My only guess is that it didn't hit anything solid enough to expand.

Not surprising the bullet penciled through. A custom comp bullet is not an expanding bullet.

Nice shot. Your shot is 29 yards longer than my record.

It's about time you hit something long range!!!!!:D Thanks to your barrel... then my barrel.... then your barrel, my head spacing, and muzzle break! LOL!!!! Way to go Joe!!! YOU SUCK! Longer than my longest kill as you know.... of course!

Tank

They aren't very big at all!! They are only about 12"-15" high X 5"-6" wide when standing on their back legs. They make an even smaller target when on all fours crawling across the ground. I shot this one on all fours eating some grass. I really like long range hunting a lot better than I do the spot and stock way. I don't kill as many this way yet but I'm working on it. Thanks everyone for your compliments on the shot, I was very excited when I hit it. Too bad I didn't have anyone there with me at the time I shot it to share it with.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.