looking for a .243 varmint wood stock

thetrikerace

Hey guys, I've been saving my peet my pennies and looking for about a year for a good quality, heavy barrel .243. There is a good selection out there, the problem is, I can't bring myself to buy a synthetic stock. I know some of them are of a very high quality but I just cant get past the good looks of wood. The Savage low profile varmint is the only one I've found but it has proved very difficult to actually get my hands on one. Does anyone know of any other options?

I would get a Sako 85 SS Varmint, which has a Laminated wood stock, in 243! I have one in 22-250 and it,s amazingly accurate.

Hey guys, I've been saving my peet my pennies and looking for about a year for a good quality, heavy barrel .243. There is a good selection out there, the problem is, I can't bring myself to buy a synthetic stock. I know some of them are of a very high quality but I just cant get past the good looks of wood. The Savage low profile varmint is the only one I've found but it has proved very difficult to actually get my hands on one. Does anyone know of any other options?

Ive been using Remingtons very own VLS stocks. Made indestructible...cheap enough..( $250) and fit the varmint taper of barrels.

I saw the sako varmint, beautiful rifle but out of my price range. I'd like to stick in or around the $1000 range. I saw a few coopers today which I would be proud to own but they were with the sako at around $2000. I'd be happy with the savage, it shares the model 12 action with their professional level target rifles. It seems to be a great value, if only I could find a shop who could get me one in. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada, if anyone knows of a good shop here....

I dident like the stocks on my 17 Fireball, 221 Fire Fireball, and 223 Rem rifles so now Boyds Thumbhole Varmint stocks on them. The barreled action would drop into them but I glassed bedded the action with about one inch of the barrel.

I just looked up that boyds stock, it looks good. I would like to get a rifle with a good factory stock that I would be happy with for a long time but I guess getting a synth stock and changing it out would be an option

You could try the Tikka T3 HB Varmint SS. Comes in the .243 you're looking for. Only drawback for you is the synthetic stock.
Myself, I bought one last weekend (300wsm) and can't say enough good about it. Check it out. Wholesale Sports
Give it a fair shake and go see one. I'm not saying it's the rifle for you... but who knows.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts