Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

Kimber Ascent, Howa Alpine, Savage Lightweight. Those are the ones I've been looking at. I don't care for the action on Kinbers so it's not on the top of my list. I like the "modularity" of the Savage rifles, plus the price is the lowest.

I have a kimber mtn ascent in 280ai that is amazing. Shoots great and is super light. I would highly recommend it.
I do like the idea of being able to run it with or without a brake. I am generally not a fan of muzzle brakes, but can see the benefit of using one with a lightweight rifle. I don't love the barretts threaded barrel and how it flares out - I know its meant for a can, but a brake might look kind of goofy on it?

Kimber Ascent, Howa Alpine, Savage Lightweight. Those are the ones I've been looking at. I don't care for the action on Kinbers so it's not on the top of my list. I like the "modularity" of the Savage rifles, plus the price is the lowest.
I think there is a Randy Newberg Edition Howa Alpine that comes with a VX3i ready to roll.

Look at a used Cooper in a model 92 Backcountry. 280 Ackley. I say used because I dont think you could find one new on your budget. This is a really nice rifle that would hit you goals Great shooter

+1 for the Cooper model 92 Backcountry. I used mine (7 RM) in a hunt in the Bob Marshall Wilderness a few years ago. Model 92 stands for 92 ounces. Ounces turn into pounds in the mountains. The gun was a consistant 1/2 MOA shooter or less. The muzzle break really tamed the recoil and the Jewel trigger (factory) broke like glass. I was able to connect on a Mule Deer at 600 yards...one ridge top to the next.

I want to buy a sub 6lb factory rifle - I already have a 6.5lb xbolt. I want something lighter. Budget is $2k or less for the rifle. I already have a VX5HD for it. Those currently in the running:

• Barrett Fieldcraft
  • Kimber Montana
  • Tikka Superlite
Any others I should consider? I don't want to build one, I want a factory rifle. I am heavily leaning toward a fieldcraft. I haven't shot any of them, but have handled the fieldcraft.

Those of you who own a sub 6lb rifle give me some thoughts on your experience - what rifle you own, accuracy, handling, recoil etc.

Caliber will probably be a 7mm08 or 280AI - but really up in the air right now.
I hunt with a Kimber Hunter .308 . It's nice and light.
The barrel heats up after a few rounds. But very happy with it.

Skip 1 meal a day for a week, half pound saved. Hahaha! (Joking). Tikka are hard to beat for value but the Kimbers Mountains get great reviews and look good too. Comes in under 5lbs (not 6lbs)! Also comes ready to roll in 280AI, which is what I would go with. Good luck brother!

Got a 6.5x55 Fieldcraft and really like it. It s a long action whereas the 7-08 in a Fieldcraft would be a short; what's a positive in my mind with the SA Fieldcrafts is the magazine is 3"! That allows long, high BC bullets. Really good in 7-08, 308 length cases.

Skip 1 meal a day for a week, half pound saved. Hahaha! (Joking). Tikka are hard to beat for value but the Kimbers Mountains get great reviews and look good too. Comes in under 5lbs (not 6lbs)! Also comes ready to roll in 280AI, which is what I would go with. Good luck brother!
Have a MGA 340 Weatherby weight 5 pounds. Accuracy ok for 340. 300 Rifles, Inc about same weight in 300 RUM and will shoot 3/4 inch groups. Cooper model 92 in 280 ai and shoots the best of the three. All serve their purpose well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.