Looking at sub 6lb factory rifles - need thoughts!

I really like Kimbers for their accuracy and lightweight.
One of the few lightweight rifle platforms I've used and built without being finicky on handloads.
Their skinny barrels are very well made and I like the 4 groove CM barrels over their 6 groove stainless barrels.

Cheers.

How far to you want to shoot it? My money is on a tikka with an aftermarket carbon stock better suited for long range shooting. I have done this for under 1300. If you are not going to be shooting far the others you listed will work but they are more difficult to shoot at longer distances.

good question...I have a christensen BA Tactical for long range work. But most of my hunting is in Idaho in the mountains, so I would like the ability to take a cross canyon shot at 700-800 yards I suppose.

I used to run Kimber Montana's
I had a 280AI and a 270 I had them full length bedded as per a gunsmith up here they both shot 1inch groups @ 200 yards with hand loads.
My brother bought himself a Feildcraft in a 6.5 CM it shoots 129 Hornady WT into almost a 1 hole group at 100 yards.
I still prefer Montana's.

The superlite Tikka gets my vote....mainly becase the 30-06 I pickt up a few years ago is a milk jug getter to an easy 900 yards. Bought it to hunt elk but so far all its killed is a couple of deer, a couple antelope and a coyote.

cliffphone11-2017%20010.jpg

2015%20goat%20and%20deer%20005.jpg

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_20140920_174559-1.jpg

The 6.5x55 Tikka lite aint far behind it in weight or critters

44881096_259766844621920_7392597305871826944_n.jpg
phone10-2-2016%20021.jpg

If lite and light recoil are wanted the little 6.5 Grendel CZ527 has done the job but an elk unit it aint
20190923_162629.jpg

Ive had good luck with all the Kimbers I've owned, wish I still had all 4 of them. The Montana may be the perfect hunting rifle, man I need another one! If your able to save a few more bucks a Cooper Backcountry is an awesome rifle. You may find one used for $2k if your lucky.

280AI is the perfect cartridge for a lightweight rifle

The Kimber Mountain Ascent comes in 280 AI and weighs a puny 5lb 6oz. The MSRP is $2040, so you're slightly over budget. We all know how that goes though LOL. You'd be looking at about a 6lb 12oz rifle with the scope and mounting hardware probably. Loaded you'd probably be right at or under 7lb. I have never shot one, but it sure looks pretty.

The Kimber Mountain Ascent comes in 280 AI and weighs a puny 5lb 6oz. The MSRP is $2040, so you're slightly over budget. We all know how that goes though LOL. You'd be looking at about a 6lb 12oz rifle with the scope and mounting hardware probably. Loaded you'd probably be right at or under 7lb. I have never shot one, but it sure looks pretty.
Funny, I was just reading about those. Trying to figure out the difference between the Mountain Ascent and the Montana and wondering if its worth the additional funds? Looks pretty sick tho...

Kimber Montana in .270 wsm with a conquest v4 has made my two seasons a pleasure. I didn't even bring a sling antelope hunting, it's like wearing a heavy watch. I did bed it from the tag to 1" in front of the recoil lug. I also added a badger 3" rail and flush cup behind the back swivel.

The stock is super weird to cut into, its carbon fiber then foam on the inside. I used liberal amounts of devcon to get the rail and pillar attached but it is very solid. Bucks a little, I cannot spot my impacts on anything inside 600 yards, but it is accurate and repeatable.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts