LongRifles Inc.

That is a beauty. How does it shoot? How long did it take Chad to build it? I had a gunsmith promise to build a custom rifle for me in 3-4 months; it actually took 15 months. I won't do business with him again.

Gene
I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but I'm going to start breaking the barrel in in the next couple days. I sent all the parts to Chad on the 5th of February and received the rifle back about 3 weeks ago. He would have had the rifle completed sooner but we had a couple delays. One was when he discovered a small cosmetic flaw on one of the components and returned it to the manufacture for replacement. That was an almost 3 week delay. The other delay of a couple weeks was trying to find someone to paint the stock in the original pattern that I had chosen so we decided to go with the pattern that it is painted now. I actually like this pattern better then the original design. Give Chad a call, I'm positive that after you speak with him you'll be as convinced as I was that you'll want him to build your next rifle. I can't say enough about Chad's customer service. I was kept abreast of the progress with phone calls and emails with pictures of the work that had been done. He also included a CD with over 100 pictures of the rifle in various stages of completion.
Wes

Gene, I have no personal experience with Chad but, have seen many of his posts with pics of various stages of a build along with very informative descriptions of what the pic is about. I've also read many posts by others who have had work done by Chad and were very impressed. So I'm inclined to agree with Wesb.

Wes

That is a super looking rifle and exemplorary piece of work.

Any chance of giving us the run down on components and what is it chambered in?

Thanks

JB

Jon2, I think early he mentioned the stock was a McMillan Remington Hunter with the edge technology and in the pic it looks like the Borden Timberline Magnum action. Hopefully Wes will post caliber and other components.

Specs
Stock- McMillan Remington Hunter with Edge technology
Action - Borden Timberline Magnum
Barrel - Bartlien 2.75 breech tapering to .670 at 26"
Jewel trigger
PT&G bottom metal
Wyatts extended magazine
Recoil lug by Chad Dixon, he didn't like the one I sent, said it would make a better fishing weight so he substituted one of his, double pinned to the action.
Pachmeyer Decelerator recoil pad
Seekins 20 min rail and rings
Custom reamer by PT&G
Chambered in 7mm Remington Mag set up to shoot the Berger 168 VLD
Topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14X40 it weighs 8.4 pounds ready to hunt. Barrel is all broken in using the Speedy method. There were no pressure signs up to 66 gr H-4831 with bullets seated .005 off the lands, so that will be my starting load.
Wes

Last edited:
WesB, great list of components. What pull weight did you set the trigger at?

Tomorrow morning 6:00 a.m. mountain standard time the first shots will be heading toward the target. I'll post em up.
Wes

Wes

Thanks for posting the spec of your rifle.

The reason I am so interested is my brother is building me a 7 rem mag on a Stiller Pred action here in the UK and the barrel profile (fluted as well) is virtually identical to yours.

When you say a custom 7 mag reamer do you mean below standard SAAMI spec?

If so how much below standard SAAMI spec if I may ask?

Also very very interested how you get on at the range.

I will be waiting with baited breath.

Thanks

JB

JB,

Essentially the reamer is little more than a min spec 7mm Rem Mag with a throat length set to place the chosen bullet (A Berger VLD in this case) to where the bearing/boat tail junction sits just above the neck/shoulder junction of the case.

This way you stay out of the "doughnut" in the case (avoiding the whole case reaming nausea), give substantial case capacity, and in the proper action still facilitate good cycling. The only "bad thing" in this is that as the throat wears and a guy seats out a little further to compensate he's going to run out of adequate neck to support the case before too long.

In Wes's case this wasn't a major concern as the rifle is a hunting gun and isn't going to see the high concentration round count the way a match rifle or semi auto would. It'll give him a long service life.

Hope this helps.

C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.