Longest shot with a revolver?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bowhunter57, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk, in .44 Mag. and will be hunting deer with it this fall. I've owned 44s and 357s before, but the longest kill shot was on a groundhog at 35 yards. I'm hoping to improve my "long range" shooting abilities, before the season opens, in late November.

What was your longest game kill shot with a revolver?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

147 yards, Ruger 44-40

[​IMG]

3. Joaquin B

Joaquin B Well-Known Member

A great many years ago (jeez... almost 50), I killed a duck about 100 yards (paces) away with a single shot from my S & W Mod 17 K22 revolver. No, should have never taken the shot, but I won a $20.00 bet. Have never attempted doing it again. I also killed a jackrabbit with a single shot from a Colt Anaconda in .45 LC about 20 years ago, at the same distance... 100 paces.

4. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff did you use the 250 grain Berger handgun vld for that shot with a G1 bc of .997? :D gun)

5. sportmuaythai

sportmuaythai Well-Known Member

About 60yds at javalena near Douglas AZ with S&W 686 in .357,smithed by Frank Glenn. Scope was 2x leupold. I was guided by Frank's cousin, Warner Glenn of Malpai Ranch. I envy guys who do 100yds + with iron sight. I believe them, but it's gonna have trajectory like water from garden hose(rainbow?).

6. Joe King

Joe King Well-Known Member

I killed the hell out of a steel gong at 200yrds:D critters bout 30

7. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

Got this guy a couple years ago in S MN with the Ruger SRH in 454 Casull @ 125 yards.

[​IMG]

Have droped a lot of rounds on a prairie dog mound between 5-600 yards but as yet this is the longest kill=154 yards. It was however not on the first shot, they is stupid and stood there for a couple:D

[​IMG]

8. sodak

sodak Member

Read Elmer Keith's "Sixguns". He was making shots of several hundred yards with open sighted revolvers.

9. ammohouse

ammohouse Well-Known Member

Practice is everything!
    I'm not that good and for big game I would keep my shots at bowhunting distance (I shoot a recurve, so don't take 90yd shots).
    But, if all is perfect and the planets aligned I would take a longer shot with open sights.
    With my scoped guns, well, I would shoot a little farther.
    Have fun with yours and post pictures of your kills!