Longest shot?

I fired 4, through the chest, because he was still on his feet and I knew he was hit. GG is an idiot who shoots at animals way past his effective range, taking 6 shots just to hit the thing, then brags he is some sort of great shot. Treating elk like prairie dogs. If you think that is ethical hunting, you're as bad as he is.

Don't wanna hijack anyones thread, but ATH, (aka spaniel on another forum asked for it)
ATH, here is a copy/paste from HNI about the 683 yard elk, explain to us idiots how you knew it was well hit, the spotter didn't see the impact till the 4 th shot which was a miss, didn't hear an impact till the third shot, and you say the animal didn't react at all, so therefore according to the info provided the first 2 shots for all intensive purposes should have been called misses.
You can change your story to fit whatever you like but some of us do not forget. so can you explain?

Shooting long range is a complex process, and expensive to do it right, especially if you consider what I did:
Before hunt:
1) Put together long range rig - Remington Sendero, Nikon Tactical scope, Scope Level, Burris Signature rings with inserts to add addtional upward travel into the scope.
2) Learned to reload and got all the equipment
3) Carefully developed the fastest accurate load with 200gr Accubond in my rifle - 2945 fps
4) Gained 200+ rounds of experience at 100-400 yds
5) Two range sessions to 860 yards to verify drop chart, wind drift estimates,and group size (6inches)
6) Additional range time with .22 and muzzleloader at long ranges to practice wind drift compensation
7) Bought Bushnell 1500ARC rangefinder

During the shot:
1) Called in elk until he hung up and offered no stalk opportunity without being winded.
2) Several range readings to be confident in range - 683 yards
3) Set up gun and leveled Harris bipod legs
4) Adjusted magnification and side focus to eliminate parralax error
5) Consulted drop chart, dialed in appropriate drop
6) Estimated wind through valley in front of me, consulted chart to dial in wind
7) Got all set, verified spotter was ready to call my hits
8) Verified gun was level with scope level, tightened in and fired first shot
9) Spotter called he couldn't see it, animal did not react (he was well hit)
10) Repeated firing sequence, fired again. Spotter couldn't see it, animal didn't react (well hit again withing 6inches of first hit)
11) Double-checked all calculations
12) Fired third shot; spotter called he heard the hit, animal turned 180 degrees at the shot
13) Fired fourth shot; spotter called miss right at his nose. Realized wind drift was a little more than estimated (first shots had just missed lungs through liver), so pulled the crosshairs further over and fired fifth shot. Heard shot impact (boilerroom shot perfect), animal reacted slightly, walked behind tree where he soon collapsed.
14) Waited an hour before approaching animal as you can't see what happens that well from that far away!!

Long range rifle hunting is a complex game and a lot more than just getting a gun and scope that will get bullets out there! Study up, read longrangehunting.com.

Now according to your own post, you claim 4 shots fired all through the chest, according to your post on HNI, I figure 5 shots fired, 2 misses, 2 gutshots, and 1 chest hit.
RR

Last edited:
Blesbok 450 yds
sporterized Mannlicher Schoenauer 22-250
near Reddersburg, RSA

Dobberman 350 yds running away after harassing our horses
Kleinguenther K14 30-06

This year's long shot achievements:
- Prairie Dog at 450, 460, and 470 yards - three consecutive shots with a 22-250
- Caribou at 680 yards with a 338 Lapua
- Bear at 413 yards with a 300 WM

I am from Mississippi, no long shots available here but have camp in NE Montana where we duck and pheasant hunt, until year before last. Year before last with Montana friend, using his 7mm (all souped up) shot muley doe at 205 yards. This year again using his gun, shot 14" antelope at 490 yards. Using my 25-06 shot one muley doe at 216 yards and one at 265 yards. Much fun, looking forward to next year. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts