Longest shot

That's not why. This guy has only been around a short while. He wasn't the one who ran them off. For some reason I don't think they would feel threatned by him, though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

We have been using a Wild optical rangefinder, same one GG and UncleB use for their 2k plus varmint shooting. It is a interesting looking peice of equipment, looks kinda like a old rocket launcher or potato gun or something

Works really good once you figure it out.

steve

Chawlston,

dont let that guy blow your skirt up, for some reason he seems to like punching peoples buttons.

take it easy
steve

This last season I was fortunate enough to be able to shoot a nice 4x5 mule deer at a ranged 420Yds. I knew that my old .303#4Mk1 w/174grRN wouldn't be able to make the shot, so I borrowed my hunting partners 30-06 w/165grSP's and made an awesome first shot, but up here when we have no snow to track with we(our group) hits it till it drops. I guess that's why I bought a .300WM so I can shoot alittle farther. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bart,

Ok, now you're saying that what Daryl Cassel did was nothing special? I'm sorry, but Daryl has forgotten more about how to kill things at long range than most people will ever learn. <font color="blue">Why is it that people who have never even attempted to shoot that far know everything about it!? </font> I hate to tell you, but hitting something at 600 yards or even 1000 yards doesn't even get into the same league of difficulty as a 2000 plus yard shot.

What Daryl did was absolutely amazing whether it was on the first shot or the 21st shot in my opinion.

Talking it down like an everyday occurence only shows that you have obviously never done it!

As someone who has done it, I can assure you that it is much harder than you make it sound like. Maybe you would like to come out to Utah here and we can let you try to hit the gong at 2k. But if you don't do it on the first shot, I won't be any less dazzled.

Hello All
It's been a long time since I posted anything here. I don't want to upset Lens breakfast, lunch or dinner but, I must respond to this fellow Bart B because he apparently doesn't know how to run his ballistics program and also has some wrong information.

First of all Bart B.
I'll go over this one time for you since you have a problem with a 2100 yard shot into an elk in your own State. It's not that hard when you have the correct equipment and the elements cooporate with you.

The rifle I have is a 67 lb monster on a return to battery bench mounted system.
The rifle I used for this shot was a 338/416 Rigby Imp.
The load I used was 122.5 Grs of WC872, a Fedaral 215 primer and a 300 Gr Match King bullet traveling out the end of the 37" barrel at 3310 FPS. I don't care if you believe that or not but, Oehler don't seem to lie. I also had a 100 yard zero to start with.
We were at 7500 Feet elevation and the temp was at 35 degrees.
It was not killed on the first shot as we always take one or two spotter shots to adjust for the wind.

If you check the BC of the 300 Gr MK you will find it is right at .787 as per actual fire.
That shot took 212 1/4 Min clicks to connect with the elk and it penitrated one shoulder completly after going in and through the elk on the opposite side.

Now run your numbers and you will find that the bullet was still traveling at 1582 Fps and had 1626 Foot Pounds of energy when it hit that elk. It dropped in it's tracks and slid about 50 yards in the snow.

Since you don't seem to believe what we did (I always say we as it's a team accomplishment)or the velocity we maintained, you will have to argue that with Oehler ballistics or Bruce Bear who built my rifle many years ago.

My 2100 yard kill was beat by a friend of mine two years afterward and he was using the same cartridge and bullet I use.
His kill was also in Colorado and he killed his elk at 2890 Yards with 4 witnesses from the Williamsport 1000 yard range and they had two military Russian lasers set up to know the range exactly. I used a Barr and Stroud with my 2100 yard kill. I now have had a Russian laser and got it a few years ago. They (military lasers) are extremely accurate at ranges much further then we can shoot.

Sorry to post here Len but I just couldn't stand by and have someone with such a negatve attitude downplay the accomplisment that we made many years ago. It was done and the 300 gr bullet had a lot of power left at that range.

Thanks to all of you over here who did understand and gave positive feedback on my behalf. I appreciate it.

Darryl Cassel

DC,

I'm not sure what happened over here that would make you feel your not welcome, but I can tell you that I, along w/many other members here would really enjoy seeing a few posts from you around here!!! If of course, Len will forgive you, or you forgive Len, whichever way that needs to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif!!

Thanks Bill

You or anyone else is welcome over on www.Precisonlongrangehunting.com anytime.
I sort of found a home at that fairly new site.

We sometimes let it all hang out there and Ric Horst doesn't have a problem eating his breakfast toast as Len once did when we were over here. There are many topics to get involved in and some very good folks with excellent shooting skills just like over here.
I do miss talking with many of you but, some of us was asked to leave in a polite manner and we did.

Thanks for having me after two years (I think) absence.
I had to respond to this one.

Later
Darryl Cassel

DC,
I'm with Bill Bailey. I could be wrong, but I beleive that if Len did not want you here, you would have not been able to write what you wrote. I my self would really enjoy to see you posting more.
Take Care!
Javier Moncada

[ QUOTE ]
Hello All
It's been a long time since I posted anything here. I don't want to upset Lens breakfast, lunch or dinner but, I must respond to this

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey DC. Good to see you here. I wouldn't propose to speak on behalf of anyone but I'm guessing Lens breakfast went just fine. I'm glad you came over and felt comfortable enough to post what you did.

You have a talent. You seem to have a knack of being able to post a rebuttal to doubts of your experiences in a way that, for those who have read your other stories, sounds more like another great hunting adventure.

Thanks for the story.

BTW you still have more posts here than any other member except Brent Moffit.

DC

Thanks for your post and dont let Bart ruffle your feather, he seems to be fairly good at it. I dont know you that well but have heard a decent amount about your shots. Impressive to say the least. Me and Bill are getting a similiar rig built ourselves right now and we are hoping to make a name for ourselves with it also.

And yes Bart it has a VERY heavy barrel to provide the stiffness you think is unimportant!!!

Glad to hear you on hear DC

thanks
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.