Longer range .223

fishingdude7

I am really new to this long range shooting deal. Ive shot since I was 6 however never really at longer range tarets...even 400-500 yards is kinda a strech. I am probably going to buy a rifle soon and will probably get it in the .223 caliber because ammo is cheap and I love to shoot. Basically, I'm wondering what kind of ranges I can even get out of that bullet. I'll probably wind up buying a Rem700, and most likely with a sporter barrel because I dont want to haul around something that weighs a ton. SO if anyone has had experience with a .223 and sporter barrel your enlightenment would be grealy appreciated. Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I'm wondering what kind of ranges I can even get out of that bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally the .223 rem is considered a 500 yard coyote gun but that is certainly not carved in stone.

I once own a savage 223 model 11ns, It was very accurate with factory and handloads. It also has a 1 in 9 twist for the heavier bullets. The right handloads were consistent sub 1/2 moa. I would agree with 4ked, 500 yards, If you need more pick a different round.

cool thx fer the imput. I figure for now i'll go with the .223 until I get good at stuff even out to that range, then perhaps practice more with the 3006 ive got here as well.

Had about the same experience with a 223 AI AR 26" 9 twist. Am getting decent terminal ballistics on coyotes out to right around 500 or so with the 69 Nosler Comp.

I hear you about wanting to start with a .223 for some of the same the reasons you sighted. I also restarted shooting last year and bought a pre-owned .223 in a 700 Remington BDL. It is a handsome rifle, as well. I put a very good Nikon 6-20X 50MM scope on it and I've really enjoyed shooting this set up. The 700 BDL however has a 1 in 12 twist so you won't be able to push the heavier bullets. I max out at about 62 grainers. I find the 55 grainers and 62 grain bullets shoot just about the same in my rifle. The other drawback is NO CLIP with this rifle. You feed the cartridges one by one into the spring tensioned feed chamber in the rifle, and although it holds 5 rounds, it is a bit of a pain to load especially in the cold or in low light.

It really shoots well, groups well, and it shoots like a lazer (consistent over 100 to 300 yards). I have yet to shoot it out to 500 yards.

I shot the M16 in the corp and found it quite accurate. Are you mostly shooting PAPER? Or will you hunt game? If you are mostly shooting paper and maybe a ground hog or two I would say a 700 BDL or straight 700 Remington in 223 caliber would work for you up to 500 yards, although if you plan on HUNTING most consistency and deadliness will probably occur 300 yards or closer. But that depends more on the shooter and less on the rifle. If you want to go farther than 500 yards then your 30-06 should work out for you.

I am setting up a range on my new land out to about 450 yards which is all I can get out of the topography and trees, but I hope to learn more about what my .223 can really do... there are also FOXES so I think I may learn what its deadly distance is as well.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.