new to longer range shooting

jrock86

Hey y'all,
This is my first post here. This season coming up will be my first season hunting in Central Texas. I am used to the thicker woods of Upstate New York. I will be using my Charles Daly Mauser in 30-06, with shots in open country ranging to 400-500 meters. I don't have a problem shooting to 300m with government ammo and m-4's, but past that we get into drop and bigger windage. Does anyone have any recommendations about possible good ammo types for texas deer at these ranges? Any info is much appreciated.

Rock

accubond, E-tip, tripple shock, Partition

Any good factory loaded hunting bullet will work at those ranges provided you find one that shoots good in your rifle. A 30-06 should fling a 150gr to 180gr bullet pretty fast at that range with little drop. If you handload There are allot of options for a good Texas Whitetail bullet. I would use the Accubond bullet from Nosler. Texas whitetails can get pretty big but it's nothing the old 06 cant handle at that range.

hornady light mag loads

Have you ever used the light mags? I here good things but don't know about the advertised velocity, it just seems high for factory loads but supposedly they have "new" powders and such. I have a 24" barrel, do you think they will produce in my barrel? The only handloads I have ever cooked up was on a buddy's rig and they were 220 grain roundnose for blackies, and i don't live near him anymore. I know the good ole 30-06 has the power, I just never really expiremented with the lighter bullets, so far she has been strictly a bear rig, but bears are on short order in Texas.

24" is fine for that range

Try some Federal ammo I know they load the Barnes bullets. 150gr is more than enough for a whitetail at 500 yds from a 30-06. But if you want a bigger bullet go for it. I would not use anything more than a 180gr. Dont get to wraped up it the long barrels and the super high veloicty rounds to start with. The real key is the basics. Find a round that shoots well in your rifle and the practice practice practice.

30-06 is fine for me

I have great faith in the 30-06 and my rifle. It has taken down man a blackie in upstate. But now in the plains of Texas I need to find a place to shoot at range. I hunt on-post, but cannot go there just to shoot. I am figuring a 150 to 165 grain moving at 3000 or so will be the medicine I need. With out a reloader I cannot roll my own, and am looking for a good factory load to produce what I am looking for. Thanks for the input.

Rock

No Sh%T?

Where bouts in New York are you? I was born and raised in Elmira and lived in Cortland before I enlisted, you active or Reserve/National Guard?

Blue Cord

I am 11B but we should be 11M. Being on a brad in Iraq I am well versed in long range hunting, there is nothing better than zeroing your chain gun at 1200 meters!!:D:D

30-06

the hornady light mag and the fed high energy are good loads. they are more expensive. they offer more velocity and energy. i would go with the most accurate load .for deer i would use 150's or 165's which ever shot less than an inch out of my 30-06. roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.