Long Range Scope choice for a 300 Win. Mag.

If you are indeed putting this scope on a hunting rifle that will be carried around I would consider a 4.5-14. Your field of view on those 6.5-20 scopes at closer ranges is going to be tiny. I once had a client with a 6.5-20 that had to pass up a shot at an elk because all he could see was hair. He couldn't tell what part of the elk he was looking at. I've shot at prairie dogs out past 500 yds with 14x and had no problem seeing them. A week ago I compared a Leuy 4.5-14 to a Zeiss, side x side. My new .243 will wear a Zeiss. One other scope I've used extensively is IOR. Heavy, like the NF, but a lot of scope for a price closer to the Leuy.

when leupold says 4.5 it usually means 4.8 or 4.9 and 14 means 13.4 or something else. Just another reason I don't like leupold.

My new Zeiss 4.5-14 came in today. Looks good. One feature I really like is their resetable turrets. The only one I don't is the plastic turret caps. Info included did recommend a 20 moa slanted base for the 6.5-20 for long range work. I got this scope from a fella here in CO who sells on ebay. His price on the scope was $545, and I think one can be ordered from him at that price without going the ebay route. He quoted me $650 for a 6.5-20. Now, if my new Kimber would just show up.

I am currently shooting a Remington model 700
in 338 RUM, with a 6-24x42 Sightron scope. I am using a laminate stock from a stainless gune but mine is blued. I am currently using double dovetail rings after destroying 2 sets of leupold windage rings in 75 rounds. My pet load is 97 gr. reloader 22 with cci 250 primers pushing a 210 gr Barnes XBY/XLC @3400 fps. This thing flatens elk like you can't believe. Recoil is stiff, I might give in and put a brake on it.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.