"long range" scope challenge. What do you use

+1
I have done side by side comparisons as the sun went down and "NONE" have beaten the now discontinued LPS scopes by Leupold.

J E CUSTOM

Here's how my neighbor and I rated my LPS to other scopes I owned in early 2007, based on side by side comparisons in failing evening light.

With respect to light transmission:
1st - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm - Brightest, no doubt about it.
2nd - Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm
3rd - Leupold VX3 2.5-8x32mm - Similar to IOR.
4th - IOR 3-18x42mm - Dimmest (Similar to the Leupold VX3).

With respect to resolution, we both rated these four scopes as follows:
1st - IOR 3-18x42mm - Notably the best
2nd - Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm - Pretty good - similar to Leupold LPS
3rd - Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm
4th - Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm

Not pick'en a fight over the LPS. Just copied and pasted the above finding from an old post, as I used to own one. I sold mine as the Zeiss Conquest cost less and performed better for me.

My current scope preference is Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm. It performs better than any of the above 4 scopes in light transmission, and is the equal of the IOR in resolution.

I have declared any scopes heavier than 29 oz off limits for the time being. My hunting is almost exclusively backpack hunting. My IORs weigh 29 oz and they're heavier than I care to pack around. One of my IORs will be replaced with another Sightron SIII soon. SIIIs weigh in at 21.9 oz.

I would use a Nightforce as I believe they are the best value in a scope for that type of rifle. I will be building one in the future .338 edge that is and plan to use the nightforce models that Shawn Carlock uses.

I use a nikon monarch now which is fine for what I do now, about $699

Long Range: I like the Leupold mk4 4.5-14 50mm with M1 turret (wish my scope was an 08 so they could replace with M2 turrets), and illuminated TMR. ETA: Like the 100moa reticle movement, great definition in the shadows, very compact size, lightweight, and illum TMR reticle. Considering a 6.5-20x mk4 w/m2 turrets & illum TMR.

I've owned Zeiss Diavari 1.5-6x and the optics were the best I've owned. Yet sold the scope because of the long occular lens and rear tube wasn't conducive to mounting.

I've owned an 8-32x NXS; beautiful sight picture (optics) but Way Too Heavy for my use. I field carry all my rifles.

Owned a bunch of IOR-Valdada (3) and Bucuresti (2). Will Not Own another until IOR funds a warranty & service facility and takes over importing & distribution of their product. Nuff said...

Like Burris. Had a Burris XTR 3-12 but design was again too long in occular area. Great value and quality.

Own an NXS 2.5-10x 24 for AR-10. Very compact, light, and durable.

Own 3 Leupold Mk4 M3 scopes. Best group I ever fired was with a 6x Mk4 M3 with Target Dot reticle. Regular 5 shot groups under .4" at 100yds and under .7" at 200yds (bullet diameter not subtracted) have Mil-Dot and Duplex reticles on the fixed mk4s.

Weight is a major concern for me. All rifles, except one sendero SF have match weight or heavy varmint barrels. None over 27" long. But I want my rifle to be under 14lbs loaded.

Leupold has best warranty service, scopes are tough as hell, and the turrets work. I own a Nikon 800 rangefinder. I own a good spotting scope and excellent binoculars. My rifle is fitted with a Telescopic Sight. I don't need to see the hair growing out of a pimple on a Moose's nose at 800yds. Spotting scope is for target identification. I do not approve of observing or scouting with a scopesight. "Best Glass" is what other guys are willing to pay for. I am comfortable buying Leupold product that is used. If it is not right, they make it right.

Was considering a Trijicon 6-20x, but seems their new scope doesn't have much reticle movement. Have yet to contact their technical dept but remain interested. Would enjoy another Zeiss Diavari or Victory I am sure. Will probably just keep the 10x mk4 and maybe swap the NXS 2.5-10 for fast-handling situations.

Have heard good things about Bushnell 6500 2.5-16, 4200 models w/30mm tubes, Sightron SIII and Vortex, Wonder, & Falcon; plus Super Sniper. If you ever found a 10x B&L Tactical it might be the best ever made. Premier, S&B, Hensoldt, Swarovski are all nice and give superb image definition I am sure, but the money is not worth it to me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.