long range rig suggestions

The only caution I have about the 6.5 - 284 is barrel life compared to the Creedmoor and the 300 WM. However, most folks will never shoot one out if is used occasionally for a target session and primarily for hunting.

As far as the Savage Accutrigger, I have Jewel, Timney and Accutrigger and feel the Accutrigger performs very well for its intended purposes. I don't think you would be disappointed.

I have the savage 111 LRH in 6.5x284 it shoots great and I have never had any problems with the muzzle break yet.

This was some shooting with it yesterday.

IMG_0041.JPG

6.5 140g Amax
Retumbo
2930 fps

wow, that is a very nice group! all I read is how that muzzle brake just locks up and so just leave it in one position. how are you keeping it clean? my thoughts were if the brake locks up then would look to either get a more fixed replacement or remove it and try to find a thread protecting screw on ring.

do you use the brake or keep it off?

have you hunting with that Long Range Hunter? results?

wow, that is a very nice group! all I read is how that muzzle brake just locks up and so just leave it in one position. how are you keeping it clean? my thoughts were if the brake locks up then would look to either get a more fixed replacement or remove it and try to find a thread protecting screw on ring.

do you use the brake or keep it off?

have you hunting with that Long Range Hunter? results?

I just leave my break on. Recoil is hardly there with the 6.5x284 anyways but with the break on I love being able to see where it hits the target it's like shooting a 22-250. I was only able to use it for hunting a couple times this year in my spots where a guy can reach out a ways but I never saw anything worth shooting so I was kinda disappointed I couldn't reach out and touch something with it. I'm hoping to get a bear with it this spring we will see how my luck goes.

I would like to mention, an earlier thread talked about the 7mm being not as effective as the 300 past 800yds, I shoot a berger 168 VLD at 3000fps out of my 7mm and my buddy shoots his 180gr out of his 300wm at 3000fps, with better ballistics, I will carry more energy down range at 1000yds than him! And for the extra whack out of his 300, im content with a 7mm. I've shot everything from coyotes to elk with it and just watched my 12 year old shoot his buffalo this year with it! Lucky first year drawing, go figure!

I would like to mention, an earlier thread talked about the 7mm being not as effective as the 300 past 800yds, I shoot a berger 168 VLD at 3000fps out of my 7mm and my buddy shoots his 180gr out of his 300wm at 3000fps, with better ballistics, I will carry more energy down range at 1000yds than him! And for the extra whack out of his 300, im content with a 7mm. I've shot everything from coyotes to elk with it and just watched my 12 year old shoot his buffalo this year with it! Lucky first year drawing, go figure!
You are shooting a heavy for caliber bullet while he's shooting a mid wight 30 cal bullet so of course beyond 800yds you have an advantage.

If however he starts shooting the heavy for caliber higher BC bullets the advantage goes back to the 300.

I was in a very similar situation just a few weeks ago:

I'm extremely happy with my decision. As is to be expected, it's been a tack driver since it came out of the box. It will outshoot me on any given day, but I'm getting .6-.75 groups @ 100 yards with factory ammo. Pretty confident that will be in the sub .4-.5 range with a good hand load. I will say that the .300 win mag is, by far, the best choice for what you're looking to do, regardless of what rifle you end up deciding on.

One thing to consider: I'm using this as a long range target rifle. That's about all I will ever use it for. Between the scope and bipod, it's definitely not light... I haven't weighed it but if you're traipsing through the woods on a consistent basis, I don't think this is the rifle I would want to be hauling around on my back.

I have tried to talk to him about the 210-230gr bullets but he is the type that can be content with what he has, so I don't push it! As I mentioned I'm looking into a LR gun in the 7mm or even the 7mm LRM, more interested into jumping up to the 180 or soon to come 195, any thoughts on the 7mm LRM? I also like the thought of pushing bigger for better BC! I'm always up for good ideas, thanks.

I have tried to talk to him about the 210-230gr bullets but he is the type that can be content with what he has, so I don't push it! As I mentioned I'm looking into a LR gun in the 7mm or even the 7mm LRM, more interested into jumping up to the 180 or soon to come 195, any thoughts on the 7mm LRM? I also like the thought of pushing bigger for better BC! I'm always up for good ideas, thanks.
It's got a following but I'm sticking with the 7mm STW. It does everything that can be done with a 7mm bullet and since I have 3 of them they've kind of grown on me! gun)

What kind of bullets and loads are you shooting and what kind of velocities are you getting? I feel my 7mm is about as big as I would like to go without looking for a muzzle break, my buddies will shoot 5-10 shots before hunting season and call it good, when I get the chances I like to shoot a lot and not feel like I got in a shoulder punching contest with Mike Tyson!

hey Just Browsing...

if I am correct that is the Savage 10 FCP HS in 300 win mag......

sounds very accurate. nice rig. how is it to shoot? heavy recoil? does the stock absorb the recoil well? I usually tolerate recoil well (used to shoot a sendero 300 RUM and a custom 458 win mag). just getting older and want something milder than those 2.

hey Just Browsing...

if I am correct that is the Savage 10 FCP HS in 300 win mag......

sounds very accurate. nice rig. how is it to shoot? heavy recoil? does the stock absorb the recoil well? I usually tolerate recoil well (used to shoot a sendero 300 RUM and a custom 458 win mag). just getting older and want something milder than those 2.

Savages are very prone to accuracy regardless of the model. Any of the models you listed are going to be shooters out of the box. As far as shooting it goes... I really like it. The only problem that I've really run into is getting a good cheek weld with medium height scope rings. I need to order a Karsten rest or something similar so it fits me better. Otherwise, I have no complaints. I adjusted the accutrigger down to about 2.5 lbs. and left it.

As far as recoil goes, I'd say that it's pretty manageable. Being a heavy rifle, it feels like it absorbs a lot of the force. I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's not a heavy hitter though because it definitely let's you know you're shooting a .300. I'm considering putting a brake on it for quicker follow up engagement and tracking the bullets at longer ranges but I haven't made up my mind yet, definitely wouldn't say that it's needed to manage the recoil.

You're going to be happy with any of those rifles you have listed. The 110 FCP HS Precision is a good bet, though I don't know how good it would be for hunting applications. Maybe check out the Model 12 Long Range Precision too? The hardest part is making the actual decision, a good part is that you'll be satisfied with all of your options.

thanks again for the info.

yes, this is WAY more difficult than I expected. such a toss up. I think I am trying to do too many things with just one rifle. I really like the 6.5-284 but concerned of barrel wear, especially if I start to participate in some competitive tactical precision shooting.
My main love is long distance shooting.

I think with all the research/reading/thinking I am doing I am leaning more toward these 3:
model 12 Long Range Precison, 6.5 creed moor
model 10 FCP HS 300 win
model 10 FCP HS 338 Lapua (I know I know...but for some reason I keep thinking of this set up, really has my interest peeked).

heck, give me a week and I will likely change my mind again.

my current thoughts are:

6.5 creedmoor....nice low recoil, outstanding accuracy (probably the most accurate of the 3 rifles I am looking at) , not sure of reliable hunting distances for game such as deer/elk/moose (yes I hope someday to hunt moose in Maine since that is where I am from and have family there) , ammo affordable. my wife could shoot it,

300 win.....really like the FCP platform, good all around cartridge, I already have a bunch of berger and Match kings (from after selling my 300 RUM), most likely has the most felt recoil of all 3 since it does not have a muzzle brake, don't think my wife will even consider shooting it.

338 Lapua....very accurate, great for really really long range, I love the 338 ballistics, very effective on ANY game in north america including bears (even though it is "overkill" for some) , a very shootable platform in the FCP HS with muzzle break, fun, much more expensive to reload but I can afford it. my wife could shoot it.

any one else "feeling" my delema? why couldn't I just be super rich and just get all 3?!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.