First long range rig!

matt_3479

I was recently deciding on a long range rifle that would be used on Moose, Bear, Deer, Elk, and caribou. I was deciding if i wanted it chambered in a 300. wsm or 7mm rem mag and most people here told me that both would be good choices. I currently own a Remington 700 BDL 7mm and a Browning A-bolt 300. wsm. My options were to buy a savage or Remington 300 and start a project or take the Remington 700 i have and begin the project.

300. wsm

If i were to start this i would most likely keep the Browning as a light carry rifle cause it is a beautiful rifle that i got a bargain price brand new and it holds moa and sometimes sub moa out to 300 yards which for completely factory rifle is perfect, especially a light carry rifle. I would buy a cheap remington 700 or savage and begin off that.

7mm

take what i have and begin to custom it. This rifle is a good shooter already so with custom work it should be great. here is a group from the factory 700 shooting factory 160 grain winchester accubonds.
IMG_1056.jpg
[/IMG]

or should i opt for a hole new caliber? This will be used on Moose, and Whitetail mainly.

It sounds like you've already got a shooter in 7mm, no need for another (though it never really hurts:)). If you like the 300 WSM keep it too. I like the 300 WSM and there is no reason that you cant strech that thing a bit too, even though its a little lightweight. If you are think about getting a new caliber thats the way I would go just because diffrent cartriges get me more excited than a diffrent gun. With the gap you have to fill I would go up to a .338 or .375 down to a 6.5 or 6mm. otherwise there is always a .300 Ultra. If you were to double up on one of the calibers you already have I would go to with the 300 WSM just because I like em'.

What is you goal for this gun? Is it a heavy wieght 14.5lbs+ for quad/trucking in and then LR ambush style hunting? or maybe a little more versitile? My personal rule is never longer than a 28" finished tube and no more than 12.5 lbs with bi-pod and scope. But thats my rule becasue it fits my needs (backpacking everywhere). I may be moving to Alberta and that is flat, so I would build a 14.5+ heavy hitter what I dont wanna pack all day, In fact I may make it heavier.

The heavier and bulkier the gun the longer the barrel, the bigger cartiges can be used comfortably. if you live somewhere that is flat I would go with something Big, just because I could utilize it. So I guess to sum up, I think you gotta let us in on a few more perameters.

jordan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.