Long Range Rifle- possible custom build

JAG0588

First off sorry if this topic has already been brought up a number of times. I'm new to the forum and am always lurking but am looking at a possible custom build or factory rifle just can't decide in what caliber so please help open to discussion.

I have gotten into western big game hunting. But before that I've never had a need for a .30 cal. But I have been bear hunting which I've taken all with a .270 last year elk hunting again with the .270. Has it done the job absolutely. But I know my limits with it. So I'd like one long range caliber for western game. And then the occasional paper/steel practicing. Not a competition shooter. So looking for a flat shooting while retaining enough energy at 700-800 yards on game.

Caliber choices. I do reload
28 nosler- like the ballistics. Brass is high. Not the best barrel life. Very Over bore

300 win mag- been around forever. Factory ammo in a pinch. Brass abundant- reasonably priced. Lots of factory guns. Ballistics not as good as the new calibers.

300 PRC- I like the idea of shooting the heavy bullets near 3000fps (reloads). Brass comparable to 300 win. Is the caliber a fad?

300 weatherby- like the 300 win, been around forever. Better ballistics than 300 win. Very nice factory rifles offered by weatherby. 54 degree bolt. Not much factory ammo in a pinch. Brass not as abundant as 300 win.

If I do a custom build it will be as follows:
Terminus Kratos LA
Bartlein/proof sendero 26"
Manners LRH
Trigger tech special or diamond curved
Wyatt's box 3.8"
Hawkins bottom metal.
Brake: TI beast. Or something similar for recoil reduction.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
Out of the 30's you've listed, 300 PRC. It is certainly not a fad, and makes solid improvements over older case designs. That said, they may seem marginal to the average shooter. My advice would be if you have, say, a 300 win mag it's not worth the hassle to switch unless you've burnt a barrel out. If you don't have anything and are starting fresh then yes the 300 PRC, to me from a technical standpoint, makes the most sense out of the big 30's. Being able to load long, heavy, high BC projectiles in a factory chamber is worth it. 300 norma will net you some more go, but you're going to pay for that in recoil and barrel life. 300 PRC gives plenty of go for a hunting rifle, and to me the 300 norma is the better suited for the two in ELR where that extra speed can be appreciated and you are shooting exceptionally heavy rifles to soften the blow from the extra powder.

28 nosler is a very different animal; lighter bullets, faster than anything, barrel burner, still not insignificant recoil. People do love it though and for good reason.

You will be happy with any of those options for your intended purpose, in my opinion.

Last edited:
HERE'S YOUR HUCKLEBERRY 300 win mag- been around forever. Factory ammo in a pinch. Brass abundant- reasonably priced. Lots of factory guns. Ballistics not as good as the new calibers. BUT THE CRITTERS WILL NEVER KNOW THAT!

The 300 PRC is a definite improvement, now a fad, but as good as it is it takes zero away from the tried & true 300 Win Mag.

Can someone explain to me the benefit of running a custom 300 win mag chamber when you can run a 300 PRC factory, SAAMI chamber and achieve the same thing..? Genuine question, I don't see the upside unless you already have tons of brass and components kicking around.

I love the 28N but if I was doing only one rifle, I would choose either a 300 RUM, 300 PRC, or 7 PRC. The problem with the 28N is barrel life; you can't shoot it every day (even one shot per day is enough to wear out the barrel in three years). The more you shoot, the better you will be at judging wind. I get around the problem by having two identical 28Ns, but shoot 300 RUMs, Lapaus, and Edges, which all have about the same drift out to 1200 yards or so.

First off sorry if this topic has already been brought up a number of times. I'm new to the forum and am always lurking but am looking at a possible custom build or factory rifle just can't decide in what caliber so please help open to discussion.

I have gotten into western big game hunting. But before that I've never had a need for a .30 cal. But I have been bear hunting which I've taken all with a .270 last year elk hunting again with the .270. Has it done the job absolutely. But I know my limits with it. So I'd like one long range caliber for western game. And then the occasional paper/steel practicing. Not a competition shooter. So looking for a flat shooting while retaining enough energy at 700-800 yards on game.

Caliber choices. I do reload
28 nosler- like the ballistics. Brass is high. Not the best barrel life. Very Over bore

300 win mag- been around forever. Factory ammo in a pinch. Brass abundant- reasonably priced. Lots of factory guns. Ballistics not as good as the new calibers.

300 PRC- I like the idea of shooting the heavy bullets near 3000fps (reloads). Brass comparable to 300 win. Is the caliber a fad?

300 weatherby- like the 300 win, been around forever. Better ballistics than 300 win. Very nice factory rifles offered by weatherby. 54 degree bolt. Not much factory ammo in a pinch. Brass not as abundant as 300 win.

If I do a custom build it will be as follows:
Terminus Kratos LA
Bartlein/proof sendero 26"
Manners LRH
Trigger tech special or diamond curved
Wyatt's box 3.8"
Hawkins bottom metal.
Brake: TI beast. Or something similar for recoil reduction.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Since you hand load and are building a custom rifle go 30 Nosler and throat it for 225 eldms or what ever bullet you want to shoot.
The prc is plagued with Clicker issues from saami tight chamber specs, it can be fixed but the nosler is a better cartridge

As others stated: 300 WinMag, long throat it.
I use Alamo Precision Rifles in Texas. They have a great reamer for 300 WM long.
I seen that one in the classifieds. Awesome Rifle wish it had a 60degree bolt throw. I've been watching for awhile and a lot of really nice rifles for sale just don't see many with a Terminus action/ or other short bolt throws

Can someone explain to me the benefit of running a custom 300 win mag chamber when you can run a 300 PRC factory, SAAMI chamber and achieve the same thing..? Genuine question, I don't see the upside unless you already have tons of brass and components kicking around.
That's why I looked at the 300 prc. Benefits I see if the PRC is SAAMI chamber. No custom work. I have no components for the 300 win mag. 300 prc all come factory with 3.7 opening I believe.

I was reading thru this and thinking my choice would be a 300wm because it's common and easy to find when I remembered my first custom work on a rifle. I was 17-18 and wanted a 25 cal lever in a Winchester. I wanted to have a new barrel put on a new 30-30 mod94 in a 25-30 improved. The gunsmith talked me out of the improved part and also the octagon barrel part. It's still a nice fun little gun but not really what I wanted🤷🏻‍♂️
Long story short build whatever you want that's the fun part!!!!