Long Range Mountain Rifle

Rhunter2

First post, so sorry if it is long. I currently have a Kimber Classic 270 WSM. Barrel heats up quickly and groups get wide. I like to shoot and hate that I have to wait for the barrel to cool between shots. I had contemplated putting a heavier barrel on it and changing out the stock to some synthetic but that seems to be cost prohibitive due to very few aftermarket stocks being available. Not to mention, I think I would prefer to have a 7 rem mag over the 270 wsm. I have been looking at several options for a replacement gun. These include, SAKO A7 Roughtech, Nosler Patriot, and a Montana Rifle Company X2. I cant seem to find a lot of info on the roughtech. All these listed have both good and bad reviews. I have also thought about building one off a rem 700 action. Looks like I could build one for under $1800. Right now I am leaning towards the MRC due to some of the really good recent reviews I have seen and the fact that I can pick one up for $1200. 5 shot gty from the sako is pretty impressive. I have even thought of picking up a cheaper 700, putting an aftermarket trigger on it and an HS Precision sporter stock and hoping that it shoots. Then build on it as needed. I am starting to ramble so I will ask for input.

If it were me I spend a little extra and build one off of a 700 action. You can get exactly what you want and not a guess wether it's going to shoot or not. Hard to go wrong with a sendero tho

I went through the same process about a year ago, ended up with a savage action build for a 7mm and a finished weight of 9lbs with scope. Definitely a 800-1000 yard hunting rifle but I still don't consider it a plinker cause I'm not about to burn that barrel any faster than needed. I'd consider keeping your 270 WSM Kimber and building a 6.5 creedmore, 260, 6.5x284 or any of the 6mm's. I use my savage 116 in 6.5x284 for putting a lot of rounds down range and will be re barreling soon as a result. Mtn rifles are great for hiking, but all magnum Mtn rifles will need chill time at the range, so bring 2!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.