Long range loads for 44 Mag carbine?

engineer40

My Dad switched to a Henry level action in 44 Mag last year for whitetail hunting. He usually hunts along some fields and I know he would like to be able to reach further out (Shotgun or straight walled cartridge only area of the state).

He has been reloading for many decades. But I don't think he has done much research on different powder+bullet combos that might serve him better.

Obviously he is not going to be taking 600 yard shots with this rifle.

But I'm really curious if you guys have any suggestions on a powder type that works best in a 44 Mag carbine length barrel?

And with what weight bullet will give the most energy (still with good terminal ballistics) at extended ranges? Maybe out to 200 yards... maybe... I've never loaded for the 44 Mag myself; so it's possible I'm being too optimistic.

I just know I had a load I liked in my 40S&W pistol. And it didn't go much faster out of my 40S&W carbine. I gained over 300fps by changing powders and still staying within SAAMI pressures. (Calm down. I don't hunt with my 40S&W carbine. Just using it as an example). :)

I think he is using the Hornady 240gr bullets with Blue Dot today for his hunting loads.

Thanks all!

I don't think 200yds would work, but the Hornady LEVERevolution load with a 225 flex tip seems about as long range as you get with a 44mag.

I have no experience reloading this cartridge though. Hodgdon lists a H110 load just under 2000fps. That might get you to 125yds.

We have a couple .44 Mags.

Alliant 300-MP powder stuffed behind a Hornady 225 FTX would be my suggestion. H110 is a great powder, but 300-MP is slightly slower, so you can get a bit more velocity at similar pressures as H110.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....1/alliant-power-pro-magnum-pistol-powder-1-lb

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....ber-point430-diameter-225-grain-ftx-100-count

Or, he could try these first, to see if these fit what he's looking for, at least to see if they get close to what he's looking for.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....n-leverevolution-ballistic-flex-tip-20-rounds

I worked up a load for the 45LC that my Ruger NM Bisley Vaquero was chambered in and also shot some through my friend's Marlin lever action rifle and they were easily capable of shooting 200 yards, especially with the rifle. The load for my 45 was with 335 grain Leadhead cast flat point bullets w/gascheck under 23.5 grains of H110 powder. Here is where it gets interesting, I used shortened 454Casull brass and small rifle primers because regular 45LC brass wasn't tough enough and wouldn't hold crimp with such a heavy charge and heavy for caliber bullets, as the bullets would jump crimp and lock up the cyl. in the Vaquero. Bear in mind I had no data manual for this load and worked it up on my own. This load wasn't for the feint of heart because of the recoil in a handgun, and even a stout kicker in the rifle. I would never shoot this load in any other revolver than a large frame Ruger! Having said all this, I wonder if a similar load could be worked up for the Henry 44mag rifle using shortened 444Marlin brass and 300 grain gaschecked lead bullets? The heavy bullets are needed for the longer ranges as they retain velocity better than the lighter ones. My 45 load ran 1190 ft/sec out of the Ruger. Just a thought

I would think seriously of using the hornady 265gr. flat point with any of the slower powders appropriate for the cartridge.
You need to be aware that some 44's (usually older rifles but not always) use a 38" twist rifling; good for flat points to 240 grains or so, but the newer pointed bullets will not stabilize well. If you have a faster twist barrel, you can use about anything they produce in that diameter.
I would stay to 220 grain+ offerings though, as the bearing surface gets rather short on the lightweight bullets and they may not steer that straight and eventually tumble.

If you cast, there are a few good offerings out there in the 240-320 grain range with a nice wide metplat to cut a good size hole through whatever you are hunting. I want another mould, but my 200 and 240 grain moulds don't get used enough as is.

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 44-250-K 44 Cal (430 Diameter) 250 Grain

always a good offering....

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 44-200-FN 44 Cal (428 Diameter) 200 Grain

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 429-240-2R 44 Special 44 Remington Mag 44-40

those last two are my current bullet moulds for the 44.... I want a 300+ grain like this one...

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 44-300-SWC 44 Cal (430 Diameter) 300 Grain

Using a Ruger Deerhunter semi auto with iron sights, I've taken deer to 140 yards with 240gr XTPs over a near-book-max load of H110. I can duplicate that same load and POI with AA2400. Two holes through the lungs. DRT on a dozen deer 100-140 yards.

Even with a scope I don't think I'd try much further than 150. 200 is questionable. I have not run the ballistics to determine if velocity has run below the reliable expansion velocity for the bullet though.

I'd definitely try the FTX bullets if long range with that cartridge were a concern. Typically I carry the Ruger as a second gun when carrying a longer range gun to be used when expected shots are >100 yards. When I still hunt I swap guns, sling the long range gun, and palm the Ruger.

My Dad switched to a Henry level action in 44 Mag last year for whitetail hunting. He usually hunts along some fields and I know he would like to be able to reach further out (Shotgun or straight walled cartridge only area of the state).

He has been reloading for many decades. But I don't think he has done much research on different powder+bullet combos that might serve him better.

Obviously he is not going to be taking 600 yard shots with this rifle.

But I'm really curious if you guys have any suggestions on a powder type that works best in a 44 Mag carbine length barrel?

And with what weight bullet will give the most energy (still with good terminal ballistics) at extended ranges? Maybe out to 200 yards... maybe... I've never loaded for the 44 Mag myself; so it's possible I'm being too optimistic.

I just know I had a load I liked in my 40S&W pistol. And it didn't go much faster out of my 40S&W carbine. I gained over 300fps by changing powders and still staying within SAAMI pressures. (Calm down. I don't hunt with my 40S&W carbine. Just using it as an example). :)

I think he is using the Hornady 240gr bullets with Blue Dot today for his hunting loads.

Thanks all!
Have been using a 44Mag carbine for 2 decades, on pigs, goats and even foxes. Not allowed to use it on deer here.
Mine is a Rossi 92 stainless with 16" barrel. I have a set of XS Ghost ring sights, hits at 200yrds are possible, but the trajectory is somewhat rainbow in shape. Somewhere around 150yrds is a better max distance. I use the standard load that Winchester and other factories use in their 240gr loadings, 24gr of 296 and a Speer Gold Dot SP. My rifle produces around 1775fps with this load, Winchester factory 240gr rounds produce 1800fps or thereabouts.
I have found a very firm crimp is necessary to keep velocity consistant. I had trouble with misses until I realised the powder wasn't burning correctly.

Cheers.
gun)

I would think seriously of using the hornady 265gr. flat point with any of the slower powders appropriate for the cartridge.
You need to be aware that some 44's (usually older rifles but not always) use a 38" twist rifling; good for flat points to 240 grains or so, but the newer pointed bullets will not stabilize well. If you have a faster twist barrel, you can use about anything they produce in that diameter.
I would stay to 220 grain+ offerings though, as the bearing surface gets rather short on the lightweight bullets and they may not steer that straight and eventually tumble.

If you cast, there are a few good offerings out there in the 240-320 grain range with a nice wide metplat to cut a good size hole through whatever you are hunting. I want another mould, but my 200 and 240 grain moulds don't get used enough as is.

those last two are my current bullet moulds for the 44.... I want a 300+ grain like this one...

Yep, those Henry rifles have a 1 in 38 twist. Go heavy on the bullet.

Yep, those Henry rifles have a 1 in 38 twist. Go heavy on the bullet.

That seems like a slow twist. Wouldn't I want to stay lighter on the bullets? Thanks!

Also, thank you to everyone else who has responded so far. This has given me a lot to think about and chat with my Dad about.

If you're going to attempt shots out to 200 yards I would think you'd want all the knock down power you could get from a heavy bullet and balance the accuracy with that. That's what I would do if I were going shoot past 125 yards with a 44 mag carbine.

I have had great results with a 300grn XTP on maximum loads of IMR4227.
Give it a look.

Will do thanks! What kind of great results did you see?

If you're going to attempt shots out to 200 yards I would think you'd want all the knock down power you could get from a heavy bullet and balance the accuracy with that. That's what I would do if I were going shoot past 125 yards with a 44 mag carbine.

Gotcha. Thank you for clarifying. I thought you were saying since it has a 1:38 twist, we should be trying the heavier bullets.

Thanks. That's all very interesting to me. My Dad used to cast bullets often, but not so much anymore. I know I've heard him complain about the pain in the butt it's been to find the harder alloys to mix with his lead.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.